Friday, January 22, 2010

But in the years that passed, since I saw you last, you haven't moved an inch

I'm glad it's Friday. I had a decent work week -- it went by quickly, no catastrophes -- but if you were to gauge how thrilled I am that the weekend is upon us, it wouldn't seem so. If the weekend was a precious little baby, I would cradle it in my arms like a and pepper it with kisses and coo softly in its ears. Ok, now that I think of it, I'm not sure the two equate, but I'm lacking ambition tonight and will it slide.

Went to TT's the other night to see Spira perform. She was playing percussion (snare and tom) for a guy who played electric guitar and sang. I can't remember his name, but that's okay, it's not essential to the story. The songs were no-frills punk and the guitar was cranked to eleven, saturated in distortion. Spira played well; it was her first time playing drums, however stripped down, in a live setting.

They played for about a half hour, which was just about the right length of time. There weren't many people present and the singer, let's call him Rudy, looked a little bummed out, but I think it had more to do with the punk ethic. During the chorus of one song, which was something to the effect of " I don't want to go to Central Square", he looked imploringly in the direction of the bar, hoping, I think, his name dropping the location where the club resides would get everyone to congregate to the stage. "Hey, did he just say something about Central Square? And did I detect a note of apathy in his voice? Fuckin' cool! Let's go pay attention to his music."

I had fun and enjoyed the energy of the set. Rudy played punk very well and with passion, but I came to see Spira. I was really proud of her. She had texted me this message prior to the show: "Please come! I'm so nervous!" I was surprised she was that nervous. She didn't seem so during the set, but afterward, her disposition was the same as someone who'd just skydived for the first time: a mixture of relief and elation.

She gave me a ride home (I had hitched a ride there with Foley, who was meeting someone at The Middle East) and we talked about how great it was that she fulfilled one of her dreams. "I can die happy now", she said. I took that as my cue to shoot her in the face. I like making people happy.

Tonight is Conan O'brien's last show. At least I think it is. I've never been a huge fan of his, but I like him enough to feel a little bad about his exit. I hear Bindy Irwin is going to be his replacement. Nice!

Celtics tonight. KG's return from injury. Will I watch it. Perhaps. Or I may read from The Terror. I'm loving this book! Or I might watch a movie. I have two Kobiyashi films in my possession :Harakiri and The Human Condition. Perhaps I'll give one of them a shot.

With that, I'm out this piece!

No comments: