Friday, January 8, 2010

Are you also frightened?

More car issues. This time, the struts on the front end went. I was leaving for work yesterday, about fifty feet from my house, when I heard a loud "crunch". I entertained the idea, albeit briefly and in vain, that I'd run over something like a glass bottle or a TV set. I quickly realized it was nothing of the sort; something had broken, and when it broke, it sounded ugly.

I was able to get the car back to my house, though in hindsight, I should have left it where it was. I remained calm despite the very real possibility my car was wrecked for good. The ramifications of that scenario weren't pretty. I called work, Triple A, and my dad. And then I waited.

As I did, I thought about how fortunate I was the incident happened where it did. Really, the odds were overwhelming it would have happened where I drive the most: highways and busy main roads. If it had happened on the highway.....well, I shudder to think of the damage that could have caused. I am lucky and feel gracious no one got hurt.

The question these days regarding my car is whether to keep putting money into it. I've been through a similar situation before with my last car and the answer is never cut and dry. I paid over eight hundred dollars for this latest round of repairs, but I think, given my situation, it was the only course of action short of forgoing repairs and hoofing it. I need the car and can't afford another one. Not right now.

I saw it coming, my car collapsing. It hadn't handled well in a long while and whenever I'd be driving on a bumpy road, I'd hear rattling underneath. Unsettling. Needless to say, every time I got in the car felt like a risk. As it happened, it was. Again, I'm a lucky man. It could, and probably should have, gone another, more dangerous, way.
--
Janelle and I went to see Avatar last night at the Capital Theater in Arlington. What an event! My first real experience with a 3-D movie (I saws Jaws 3 in that format, but it doesn't count). The second the film started, I was blown away. The 3-D effect was incredible. So was everything else about the film. We watched in wonderment like children. I want to see it again and again.
--
I've got District 9 and The Human Condition, the first of a trilogy by Kobiyashi. Also, more of season three of The Tudors, a truly great show. Things to watch, and plenty to read. And meditating -- been doing that a lot. Trying to be mindful, alive in the moment. Not easy, but no wonder: I've been unconscious almost my entire life. Most of us have.

Looks like a night run for me. I'll wait a bit for my supper to digest and then I'm off.

No comments: