Wednesday, April 1, 2009

My heart is a furnace, full of love that's just and earnest

After handing forth a goodly sum of money to the mechanic over the weekend, my money situation is as pitiable as it's been in years. That said, I'm surprised, even though the amount will barely sustain me until next week, I have any money at all. I was expecting to have to ask my parents for a little cushion to tide me over, but I don't think I'll need to. That is a good thing.

I went to record some docs at the registry in Lowell with Ann today. They want her to show me the ropes, so that I can eventually record on my own in Cambridge and Boston, a hike for Ann, but close to where I live. I was happy to get out of the office for a bit and to spend some time with her.

On the way, Ann told me she was going to give her notice soon. She's moving to Georgia in May. I wasn't too surprised; she's always maintained, at least to a few of us, that she wanted to move in the spring. It was still kind of sad hearing the news, though. Even though my feelings for her have abated , I'll miss her all the same. Who else am I going to talk about music and trashy reality shows with?

Went to Spira's last night and we walked over to the Old Navy in the Galleria. I had a gift card to redeem and she had an exchange and some coupons she wanted to use. We didn't stay too long. I was disappointed with the prices. Thirty bucks for a pair of jeans? Twenty five bucks for a short sleeved shirt? Fuck that! I ended up getting some socks and a t shirt.

The store was virtually empty and when we went to checkout, there was no line. Spira went first. As is her style, Spira became fast friends with Barry (she got his name in record time), the cashier. The three of us had a nice conversation about the different theories surrounding the show Lost. During our convo, I noticed a line had formed behind us. And then I noticed that the transaction was taking FOREVER.

Barry was having trouble with her coupons (frankly, I'm not entirely sure what the hold up was). The woman behind me chatted me up about seeing someone in the store she hadn't seen in months, but was about to call. She was slighty flakey and looked like a pudgier Liv Tyler wearing nice glasses. We had sex in one of the changing rooms while waiting for Spira and Barry to finish up. Oh, I kid -- April Fools! Had you going there, didn't I?

After a while, Liv Tyler grew frustrated and found another line. So did everyone else. I wondered if Barry was purposely taking so long because he found a couple of people to talk Lost with. He was a nice kid and it was a good conversation, but I was getting antsy, even after all the fun I was having razzing Spira about holding up the line. I told her that if I didn't know her and wasn't part of the conversation, I would hate her so much.

Overall, I had a fun night out with one of my best friends.

I'm almost finished reading Ken Shole's Lamentation, which has proven to be worthy of the hype that has proceeded it, despite it's patches of weak writing. I'm also reading Brian Ruckley's Winterbirth, a book I'd been meaning to check out for a couple of years, but have always put off for one reason or another. The book, which is part of a trilogy, has been a fantastic read so far. The impetus that got me to finally give it a try was reading Ruckley's blog and noting how well-written it was. I'm pretty good at judging the quality of authors, and I was right on the money with this one. He's an assured, skilled writer. I've found myself re-reading passages throughout the book quite because they're so good.

Ok, off to finish Lamentation, watch some C's (Tony Allen returns tonight), and then head over to Mara's for Lost.

No comments: