Monday, April 27, 2009

I can hear the wild waves break this island of bone

I wasn't at work very long today when Marcy asked if I wouldn't mind accompanying Ann to the registries in Cambridge and Boston so that she could show me the ropes of researching and recording documents. Unsurprisingly, my arm didn't have to be twisted.

On the way to Cambridge, my lip started bleeding profusely (remnants of a cold sore-- sexy, I know). Fortunately, Ann had some tissues and I was able to control the blood flow, but man, I bled a lot. I was hoping that wasn't a sign of how the rest of the day was going to go.

We spent all day at the registries. Ann did a fine job teaching me the whole registry process, but there was a lot to digest and I'm certain I won't retain much of it. It didn't help that Ann was looking particularly good today and that I was enjoying her company so much. Somehow, I managed to focus on the work at hand every once in a while.

It's really too bad she's moving. I didn't realize just how well we'd get along; I had an idea, but I figured she'd be more, I don't know -- reserved? Quiet? She was neither: we laughed a lot and there was no shortage of conversation. We learned a lot about each other today. I hope we'll be able to keep in touch when she moves.
--
Had a decent weekend. Knowing the weather was slated to be summer-like, I was all geared up for a run on Saturday. I woke up, had some breakfast and hit the road.

It wasn't an easy run. I wasn't even halfway through the run when the urge to stop became insistent and almost overwhelming. My knee ached, and because of the heat, my body shivered. I cowboyed up and finished the course.

Fortunately, my run after work today went a lot smoother. In fact, I had a lot of energy during the last leg and probably could have run a bit further. I didn't, though; I'm trying to pace myself. Soon, though.

Hung out with Mara Saturday night. We took Baby Boy Z for a walk and came back to the house and watched Man On Wire, which was good, but we were both tired and had trouble getting into it.

Foley stopped by yesterday and hung out for a while. And later in the day Spira came by and went for a run with Janelle. I tried convincing both of them to watch Rachel at the Wedding with me, but both declined because of work they needed to attend to.

I watched it anyway and loved it. Such an organic, soulful, and enjoyable film. There wasn't a formal score, but it was populated with some fantastic music. If I ever get married, and I hope I do, if my wedding is anything like the one in the movie, then it will be a success.

Janelle and I launched our Everly Brothers project yesterday with a rehearsal of the gorgeous song Kentucky. Sounded good, especially for our first attempt. I love the Everly Brothers and one day came up with the idea of learning all the songs off their record, Songs our Daddy Taught Us, one of their very best. And because there are two vocals going at all times, I needed a singing partner. Janelle and I have been discussing playing together for a while now, and I thought this would be a great project for us. And so far it is.

No comments: