Saturday, April 4, 2009

But you want that picture, don't you darling?

In the past, I've expressed, pretty much to anyone who'd listen, my annoyance with the highly unnecessary comments some people post every three minutes on Facebook. I don't see the point of informing everyone that you just put a pair of socks in the hamper. With all the important thoughts and actions I undertake on a daily basis, I have no time for useless information. But now, after posting a couple of videos that no one responded to and feeling a little hurt as a result, I've come to a better understanding of why people feel compelled to comment on the slightest bit of minutia every three minutes.

I was surprised at my hurt feelings. I had ostensibly only posted the videos ( two clips from the brilliant The Office (UK) ) out of a desire to share some comedy with friends, but when no one commented on how hilarious and perfect the clips were and how bitchin' I was for sharing them, I didn't like it. I wanted recognition and approval. I was met with silence.

That is where it ended for me. I suffered through some shame and humiliation, let the tears run freely, but then I put the baby in the crib and was done with it. And here comes the point you feared would never arrive: I believe many among the chronic commenters, who will henceforth be referred to as CC's, originally only posted very little and experienced some some rejection, but unlike me, weren't strong and brave and pure-hearted enough to put the baby in the crib. No, they sought acknowledgement and approval and weren't going to rest until they got it. And when they finally did get some positive feedback and subsequent validation, they liked the taste so much they wanted more.

So they kept going and discovered at one point or another that leaving tiny, insignificant comments may not generate many responses, but posting a lot of them all the time will accrue enough to hurl you into the belly of ecstasy.

And let's not forget about the people responding to these irrelevant posts. They're just as bad in my opinion. Maybe even worse. You tell me. Who's more revolting: the one who posts " Tomorrow is Sunday" or the one who replies "No kidding! Sometimes I forget that Sunday comes after Saturday LOL!!". I'll let you sort it out. Me? I think they're both the same creature and, if I were to let the animal in me have the floor, I'd horsewhip them both in the face and privates with equal measure. But that's just me.

Before I conclude, I want to acknowledge the percentage of CC's that didn't need the impetus of rejection to urge them on, the ones who are hard-wired to broadcast every thought they have. I don't know how many of them there are, but, they are to be feared and avoided. They are the Dark Lord's excrement, acrid and foul.

As for me, I will not post ever again, unless of course someone responds to the hilarious videos I posted. In that event, I will comment like it's hot.

No comments: