Saturday, April 18, 2009

I'm sick to my guts of the railway, poor Paddy works on the railway

Watched the Celtics lose to the Bulls in OT. Not a good way to start the playoffs. They lacked energy and looked as if they felt they would roll through the series by entitlement alone. If they manage to face the Cavs on their way to the finals, they'll need to play much, much better to even stand a chance.

At least there's the Bruins and their spirited, disciplined play. They're about to go up two games to nil in their series against Montreal. A lot has changed in a year. I like their chances to go all the way.

After being ill for a good portion of March, I'm finally getting my wind back up and have been exercising like before. Every day this week, I've either gone running or practiced yoga. I'm hoping to add some miles to my runs. By summer, I want to be up to at least six miles per run.

I showed up at Foley's place this afternoon for practice, but he wasn't there. His roommate, Rachael, suggested I come in and knock on his door, but she didn't think he was home. His door was about a quarter of the way open and I peeked inside. No Foley. As I made my out of the apartment, I said "He's dead!" to Rachael, who was on the phone.

"No he's not", she said with a smile and some doubt.

"Go see for yourself", I said. "If I were you, I'd get that body out of the house before it starts to decay. The smell will be unbearable."

Foley called me later at home. He got tied up somewhere and lost track of time. He was apologetic. I didn't need the apology. He lives less than a mile from me. If I had driven to New Hampshire and he was a no show, well I'll tell you what: I'd be pretty peeved.

Janelle and I plan on going to the Fells for a run tomorrow. I look forward to it. I've been running the same pattern for a long time; will be good for a change of scenery. Spira has been running along the Charles and told me it's a nice run. I'm sure we'll be running it together soon.

For some reason, my computer won't play the disc of The Wire: Season Four I got from Netflix. That stinks, because my dvd player shat the bed last week. And the dvd player in the living room is lacking a remote, which means, without going into why, I'll have to watch all the episodes at once or not at all.

Dvd players are cheap enough now. I'm so worried about having to dump a lot of money into my car, that I'm hesitant to purchase anything nonessential.

Listening to a lot of The Pogues lately. I love them more than I ever I have.

Mara and I hung out at her place last night. We hadn't hung out since her trip to New York a couple of days back. It was nice seeing her. We caught up and enjoyed each other's company. A nice visit.

Re-reading The Franklin Cover-Up, a book that should be required reading for anyone willing to open their eyes to some ugly and frightening truths. I wish I had the time to give a thorough synopsis. Maybe in another post. Satanism, child abuse, and murder in Nebraska. That's just scratching the surface. The never-released documentary, Conspiracy of Silence, was based on the book. It's all over Google video, if you're interested.

No comments: