Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Well, I hope that someday, buddy, we have peace in our lives, together or apart, alone or with our wives

Got a lot done after work. I went for a run as soon I got home and stopped at Mckinnon's in Davis for some of their incredibly cheap meat (chicken thighs and hamburger, if you must know) on my way back. Once home, I baked some chicken, did some laundry, and once the chicken was ready, I added some to a salad I prepared for supper. After I ate, I headed over to Market Basket and braved the swarm of shoppers. It was hairy at times, much like what our troops experienced on the beaches of Normandy, I'm sure. I made it home with my skin and sanity intact. I even managed to get some gas on the way home. "My hero", I can hear you cooing. I do what I can, on this planet we call Earth, to be an example of strength and purity. Glad I've made a difference in your lives.

On a more serious note, I've been feeling like almost everything in my life could fall apart at any moment. My car, my job, my relationships, my living environment, my health --- all seeming ready to collapse under my feet like a trap door. It's been a rollercoaster ride, to be sure, and I fucking hate rollercoasters (well, maybe not, but whatever). Well, many of us are going through it -- the economy, global warming, etc. -- and having a tenuous hold on several aspects of life can be empowering, right? No? Okay, but I still contend that it can. I'll get back to you on how.

Did some recording at Foley's last night. He's having me put vocals over one of his songs, and so far it's been both interesting and challenging. And frustrating. For years now, I've only sung my own songs. And because Foley writes differently than I do and because he wants things done a certain way, it hasn't been easy. But I'm glad I'm doing it. It's good to expand one's horizons, no?

The song we we're doing is about Foley's new flame. I met her after rehearsal. She seems a little shy and, given the fact that I had just been singing about her for the last couple of hours, our introduction was slightly awkward. Back to the song. In shortl, it's about how he met his new love and how jubilant he is to be with her. As we were rehearsing the song, he kept urging me to sing happier. "Can you sing it with a smile on your face?", he asked. "No fucking way", I responded. There's much I'll do to help Foley manifest his vision, but not that. Besides, he didn't sound very gleeful when he sang it, so why should I?

Our friend Sara had layed down some vocals on the song a few days before I did, and they sound great. She reminds me of Vashti Bunyan. That, my friends, is a very good thing. The vocals I did last night, well, sucked. Okay, they didn't suck, but I can do much better. I hope. To be fair to myself, it's a song I'm not too familiar with and I'm being directed to alter my singing style, which, for those of you don't know, is a cross between Lil Wayne and Pat Benatar.

Listening to Led Zeppelin II. Not feeling it even slightly. Time for a change. Everly Brothers will do just fine.

Ok, I'm off to watch some UFC. I love the sport but never seem to catch it when it's on. Last night, though, I was lucky and caught some while flipping channels. And the same thing happened tonight. I was going to riff on my recent discovery on Youtube, Sister Salad, and why I enjoy it so much, and why it's probably better for me not to interact with pretty much anyone anymore. Perhaps I'll cover it in my next post.

Stay tuned, bitches.

No comments: