Thursday, April 9, 2009

Who can watch the night as it passes by, who can live without meeting anyone?

My car is going through the doldrums. I suspect it needs several major repairs, which include brakes and whatever the mechanism is that makes it go faster. This morning, it took a few tries for the car to turn over. That's a new one. Well, the good news is my bank account is stacked to the chin with cash and I'll be be able to afford a multitude of repairs and still have plenty left for sexy weekend getaways and extravagant dinners. No wait, that's Clooney; I'm poor as fuck.

Foley and I rehearsed tonight. I was eager to redeem myself after a disappointing vocal performance the previous rehearsal. First, though, I needed to have my thumb ripped open by one of Foley's cats in an unprovoked attack. i bled all over his bathroom sink and floor. He pulled out a box of Band Aids and offered me one. "They're clear, though", he said, as if he wasn't sure my tastes in Band Aids went in that direction. As if its color, or lack thereof, could effect its usefulness. Evidently, I thought it could, because I almost asked Foley for a brown one before I came to my senses.

We had some tea with whiskey and ran through the song a few times. I was much better this time around. Since our last practice, I got to know the song a lot better. Between takes, we waxed philosophic over last night's Lost episode, which I thought was as good as they get and he didn't. And we talked about Stephen King's Dark Tower series, which we both agreed was incredible.

And we also waited for Christine, the cellist.

I've never played with a cellist before but have always wanted to. It's one of my favorite instruments in the world. When she did arrive and started tuning her instrument, Foley and me were grinning and staring at the cello like a couple of six year olds watching cotton candy being made. I've determined that the cello is the only instrument that sounds good being tuned.

We practiced the song a bunch times and Christine sounded fantastic, even as she was finding her way through it. I held back the urge to beg her to play over all of my songs. All in due time.

Afterward, I walked home in the spring night, feeling a little better about my life and a little more hopeful.

No comments: