Saturday, March 28, 2009

Happy Jack wasn't tall, but he was a man

I am here to report that, despite my week ending on a somewhat sour note, I am not disdainful of the gods, wood sprites, gremlins, fate, chance, cause and effect, or whatever it was that orchestrated events. This is because, for all the frustration and inconvenience I experienced, matters played out as well as they could have. Time, of course, will determine if that is the case, but I'm optimistic.

Yesterday, during my break at work, I settled some money concerns that, without getting sidetracked into a lengthy, boring explanation, worked out well for me. That was a relief; the rest of my work day was unburdened and easy. It was a beautiful day and the weekend was upon me.

I left work and walked to my car. When I put it in drive, a deep rumbling came from the rear. I was worried it was my brakes (I've been having brake issues lately). I got out of the car and checked to see if perhaps I was dragging a branch or something.

I wasn't.

I decided to drive it for a little bit and see how far I'd get. A part of me, the one not vested in reality, hoped the problem would correct itself.

It didn't.

The faster I went, the louder and more insistent the rumbling grew. At that point, I was going to try to drive back towards work and stop at Sam's, the mechanic who'd worked on my car in the past.

I didn't make it very far. I couldn't get much speed and had the feeling that if I went any further, something worse would happen.

I drove onto a side street with a slight incline and little traffic. I got out of the car for another look and that was when I discovered I had a flat tire. How could I have missed that?

As I changed the tire, which was on the driver's side, I wished I had discovered the flat before I left my parking spot, which was on a flat strip of road and well away from traffic. My new location was on a hill and, the lack of traffic I reported when I pulled onto the road, was now replaced with a welter of cars whizzing by my crouched frame. Gory visions of being struck and dragged messily for miles under an SUV filled my vision and quickened my pace.

Tire changed and back on the road, I let out a sigh of relief. Could have been something serious, I thought, but it was only a flat. I didn't have to wait for a tow and find a ride back to Somerville. No, the worst I got out of the deal was a pair of soiled hands, scuffed knees, and a later than anticipated return home.

I debated whether to take the flat tire to a garage today or risk the drive to work with the donut on Monday and have Sam plug it. I decided on today.

This morning I drove over to Hillside Auto on Broadway, a place I'd gone to before, and was informed by a guy in the office that there was no work in the garage on Saturdays. He suggested I take the tire to the Sunoco station a couple of blocks up the street. I took his advice.

When I arrived there, I was attended to immediately by Meff, a smallish, possibly Turkish, older man. After a quick inspection of the tire, he gave me my first bit of bad news: the tire was slashed all the way round. Irrepairable. I suspected vandalism, but was disabused of that notion when Meff brought me over to the car and showed me the culprit. One of my struts had broken off, leaving a sharp, jagged piece of metal in its place that tore into the tire. Okay, guess I'll be springing for more than a new tire, I thought.

Meff worked up an estimate for me that totaled five hundred and fifty dollars. Shitty, but manageable. "So that's everything -- parts, labor, new tire?"

"Uh, no, that's not with new tire. With new tire, you're looking at six fifty."

Ouch.

I asked Meff if he'd be able to service the car on monday. "I'll do it today, if you want", he replied.

I told him I'd have to check my available funds first, but that I'd get back to him. I left the station and stopped back at Hillside. I went back into the office and asked the guy I spoke with earlier what he'd charge me, without telling him the estimate I got from Meff.

After a couple of calls to parts suppliers, the guy worked up a quick estimate. "Ok, with a break on labor, your total will be around nine eighty."

Nine fucking eighty?

I told him what Meff was going to charge me and his jaw dropped.

"No, that can't be it. He probably didn't include the springs and the assembly."

"I don't know, he was pretty explicit when he said the total covered everything, which included a new tire."

" Jesus fucking Christ! I didn't even factor in the tire. With a tire, I'd be charging you over a grand. He's charging you less than cost on parts and barely charging you for labor. Well, you need an alignment when you get new struts and I know he's not giving you one because he doesn't have the necessary lift for an alignment. He brings his cars here and since we're not working today..."

"Well, even if I don't get the alignment, I could get one here and still do better than your estimate", I said.

"No shit. Hell, if that's what he's charging you, I 'd go over there immediately cuz you're getting a steal."

"I guess I am, but I'm still paying a lot of money."

"Yeah, no shit."

I went back to Meff . Before I left Hillside, I had the guy write down everything I needed to have worked on and asked him if they'd be able to work on the car on Monday in the even that Meff's estimate was too good to be true. He said they would. So, before I gave my keys to Meff, I said, "So you're taking care of everything with this total, right? New struts, springs, alignment, tire?

"Of course", he said with confidence.

I thanked him and walked home. I wondered if I truly was getting a deal or if I was getting hosed. Was he going to use shoddy parts and poor labor? On my way to work Monday morning, would my tires collapse, hurling me violently into other cars? Is that how it will end for poor Kevin?

Around four, Meff called and said the car was ready. I had half-expected him to tell me his original estimate was way off and the cost was now doubled. Janelle dropped me off at the station and I paid Meff. I thanked him as I left with a mixture of suspicion and gratitude.

Here's hoping my fixed car stays fixed.

Though I'm quite a bit poorer, and at one of the worst times, when bills and rent need to payed, I could be in a much worse position. Just the fact that I was able to have my car serviced on a Saturday is good fortune enough. And what if I didn't go to Meff? Would I be paying double somewhere else, like at Hillside, or was Hillside grossly inflating the price?

Who knows. One thing is certain: I will be poor as fuck for the next couple of weeks. Oh, well, I'll get by.

No comments: