Tuesday, March 17, 2009

This land was always ours, was the proud land of our fathers, it belongs to us and them, not to any of the others

I'm still sick! Not as bad as before, and there does seem to be daily improvement, albeit ever so slight, but it sucks all the same. It just plain sucks.

My intention had been to do nothing but stay in bed this past weekend. Didn't happen. Saturday was devoted to waiting for the cable guy to install new boxes. As is the norm with cable guys, he didn't come when he was supposed to. Janelle had picked an eleven to two o'clock window when she made the appointment, and what did they do? They sent a guy over at eight thirty! Janelle sent him on his way, suggesting he come back within the agreed upon time frame.

Well, it was too much to ask to have someone show up within a four hour time frame. I mean, really, it's goddamned near impossible to be anywhere with only that narrow window of opportunity to work with.At two, I realized, and not to my surprise, that something wasn't right and called the cable company to find out where our errant cable guy was. Where for art thou, cable guy? No one home. Janelle had better luck and reached the rep she had spoken to during the week. Finally, around four thirty, someone arrived. My day of rest was not meant to be, but at least I've got cable in my room and can watch Hannah Montana away from judging eyes.

Hung out with Mara for a little bit that night, but lacked the energy to be the social dynamo she's come to admire. I was beginning to realize around that time that I wasn't going to be getting better any time soon. If I am still sick this time next week, I will disembowel myself. That'll show 'em.

I woke up Sunday feeling pretty good. I watched some Celtics here and later at Foley's. When the game was over, we worked on some songs. His roommate, Rachel, and her friends were there. Her friend, Emily, came and said hi. I said hi back. Based on that, Foley saw a connection there and beckoned Rachel to help him play matchmaker. There was no getting around the fact that Emily was a looker, but I really didn't see a connection there at all and, though I couldn't fault Foley for trying to fix a brother up, I wanted him to drop the subject. Rachel seemed to want the same thing.

Luke Warm came over last night. Haven't seen him in a while. Our mission was to get some Tibetan food, but when we got to Davis Sq, we saw that the restaurant was closed. Luke Warm suggested we walk up Holland and eat at the other Tibetan place.

I froze my ass off during the walk. I was under-dressed and my weakened state didn't take well to the cold. Didn't expect to be walking so much and didn't anticipate how cold it would get. When we got to the restaurant, it too was closed. So, we went to Rudy's and had mexican.

I finally finished Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. I've been reading that book off and on for the last several years. Granted, it's a bulky book, but, given the fact that I enjoyed it very much, it's surprising to me that it took me so long to finish. Another one down. I can add it to the list. Next up is A Confederacy of Dunces, another book that's been kicking around for years, despite the fact that I enjoyed reading from it.

Didn't realize it was St. Patty's day until I came to work and saw all the green everyone was wearing. Some Irishman I am. I did, however, listen to the Pogues on the way to work. That should account for something. Oh, and I'll watch some Celtics tonight, too. Erin Go Bragh, motherfuckers!

Ok, I'm sleepy. Time to move on.

No comments: