Friday, March 13, 2009

How many times can a man turn his head and pretend that he just doesn't see?

Feeling better today, but not in the clear. It is Friday and the weekend looms; I can quicken my recovery with rest, which will be at my disposal. I will try to get outside and walk some. Maybe some yoga will be attempted. Though frustrated at the impediments I've suffered over the last several weeks at the hands of ill-health, I'm ready to get back in the saddle.

At some point, I'll watch Synecdoche, New York, Charlie Kaufman's latest and much anticipated by me. I'll be shocked if I don't love it. And Christopher Guest's For Your Consideration will most likely get mine at some point.

Over the last week or so, my feelings for Ann have cooled a bit for various reasons, mostly because I came to the conclusion that, to borrow from the title of a current romantic comedy, she wasn't that into me and, consequently my enthusiasm for her couldn't sustain itself. Or, to put it another way, I had no fucking idea how she felt and needed more than that in order to ask her out. Although I'll never be accused of being hasty when asking women out, in this case, because we see each other every day, I want to be reasonably sure I have a shot with her before I launch the rocket, so to speak.

Today, my feelings were rekindled. A break in the clouds occurred and it seemed very plain, based on the combination of surreptitious looks and bits of conversation, that she indeed is into me and the only reason she ever seems not to be is because she's trying to conceal the fact, not wanting to be obvious about it. Who knows if that's the case, but today it seemed to be.

In the end, though, it wasn't the epiphany of questionable sustainability that warmed me to Ann again, but our rapport, which was, as it can often be, warm, slightly awkward, humorous, and left a smile stamped on my mug for untold minutes afterward. It's the simple things, my friends; the older I get, the more I covet them. Especially in the heart of these darkening days.

There's more I could tell you, but I'm spent. Ciao.

No comments: