Saturday, March 7, 2009

If I had to do the same again, I would my friend, Fernando

Spent the bulk of the day at my parent's house. My sister and her kids were in attendance and so was my grandmother, who carpooled with me. I've never given her a ride anywhere before and I think I did a commendable job. I kept my speed at a moderate pace and, though it wasn't easy, managed to abstain from the usual battles of the road. Several times I had to still my hand from flipping some prick off for showing bad form. And thanks to my grandmother's poor hearing, I think I got away with a few muttered expletives.

Speaking of my grandmother's poor hearing, I'm surprised I'm not hoarse right now. I spent a good part of the day SPEAKING VERY LOUDLY. That's ok, I've got a big mouth and handled the workload with aplomb.

When we arrived at my parent's house, my grandmother asked me if I'd be giving her a ride back.

"I suppose so, if there's no bus heading that way."

"I don't think there's a bus, dear."

"How about a cab?"

"That would be pretty expensive."

"What about a trolley?"

"Oh, I don't think so."

"Maybe you can hop in the back of someones mule cart."

"That would be hard to find."

"I guess I'll give you a ride, then."

Somehow, I've become the technical genius of the family. This is not based so much on merit, as it is a default position. Any problems with any thing remotely technical, I'm the go to guy. My skills in that department are average, but that doesn't prohibit me from feeling like a fucking genius in the company of my family.

Today, I showed my dad how to use the Discman I gave him, my sister how to use her Ipod and the zoom function on the camera in her phone, and set up my parent's dvd player, making it compatible with the cable and VCR. I have no illusions that these were difficult tasks to perform -- a sixth-grader who still eats his snots would have made quick work of them -- but it felt good saving the day.

When my grandmother and I were readying to leave, my father pulled me aside and quietly said to me, "Hey, if there's ever anything you need to talk about, you can talk to me. I should have told you this a long time ago, but I'm telling you now."

I was a little thrown off. I figured he was saying this in response to my Christmas meltdown, but I wasn't sure. Whatever precipitated it, I choked up a little. It was one of the most touching things my father has ever said to me.

Plan on seeing Watchmen tomorrow with Janelle at the Somerville Theater. I wasn't wowed by the graphic novel, but I hear the film is effective. We'll see.

Missed the big game between the Cavs and the Celtics last night because I was at Mara's watching Jesus' Son. If I had had the foresight to check the schedule before making my plans with her, I would have seen what turned out to be, by all accounts, a great game. Oh, well.

No comments: