Monday, November 10, 2008

Yesterday a morning came, a smile upon your face

Luke Warm came over to record with Craig yesterday, and Spira, feeling the anguish of a fresh break up and needing the calming presence of friends, came by in the afternoon. It was a day spent with some of my favorite people.

While Craig and Luke Warm recorded in his bedroom, I hung out in mine with Spira, doing my best to be a patient listener as she vented her feelings about her defunct relationship with Seany Boy. I won't go into the details of the break up, except to say that in the end it was probably just a matter of when the relationship was going to end. "If", unfortunately, never really factored into the equation. Of course, for all I know they could have reconciled by the time you read this. If so, good having you back, Seany Boy. If not, well it was nice knowing you.

In the afternoon, we got some take out from Yoshis. Spira and I had some black dragon --- not much of a surprise there --- Craig went with some beef teriyaki that he gave a big thumbs up to, and Luke Warm had a dish with such an unnatural, at least to my western eyes, array of vowels and consonants I'm not going to bother trying to spell it. Just know that it had tofu and a bunch of vegetables and looked like a Greek salad if you glanced at it quickly. Binbidibobybiback? Oh, hell, I don't know.

After dinner, I sat with Spira in the living room while the lads finished recording. I put in a dvd of The Office, figuring she needed some cheer to counterbalance the melancholy. She laughed heartily more than once, so I considered the gambit to be a success.

When the guys were done recording, Luke joined me in the living room to watch the second half of the Celtics game. Spira headed home not long after. I felt bad that she was not having a very good day, but she needed to go through it. She'll be alright; she's a resilient little shit.
--
I went to Olympia Sports this afternoon to buy a pedometer. I was hesitant to go there because of the aggressive sales staff, but I was tired and had already gone to a couple of places looking for one. I was hoping for a smooth experience.

The salesman assisting me was initially pretty laid back and helpful, but once I had decided on a pedometer and began paying for it, he started in with the hard sell. Paying for it took on a whole new meaning.

I thought I was in the clear, but the rat-faced bastard just couldn't keep his maw shut.

"Would you like to save 10% on your purchase today?", he asked as he rang me up.

You just had to do it, didn't you, you little fuck? "Nah, I'm all set."

"Are you sure? You'd be saving money. It's really simple to--"

Am I sure? I'm sure until I inform you otherwise! How dare you question me, worm? "Uh, really I'm all set. Just the pedometer."

"Alright, but this is part of our--"

"All set, thanks"

"--rewards program. You'd get a bunch of--"

"No thanks"

"coupons in the deal. Really, you don't want to check it out?"

What I want to do is make you kneel before me in obeisance. What I want to do is command you to shut the fuck up after declaring that I am your master in all things and my every wish is your command. And then, before I leave the store, I want you to round up every god damn coupon in the store and cram them up your pasty ass. "Uh, no thanks -- like I said, just the pedometer."

I left the store determined never to set foot in there again. Listen, I've worked in retail and know this guy, like the others I've dealt with, was just doing what he was taught to do, which is the hard sell. Still doesn't change the fact that I want to tear the throats out of these punks when they get pushy with me. Ah, but you know the feeling, don't you?
--

Almost done Lonesome Dove, though I probably won't finish it tonight; the C's are on and I'd like to work on some music. And with that, I'm out of here, bitches.

No comments: