Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I had money, and I had none, but I never been so broke that I couldn't leave town

Again, I'm going to beg off offering my pearls of wisdom regarding the election. I just can't; not tonight. I will offer slightly more, however, than I did in yesterday's post, which should be easy because I didn't offer a damn thing. So here goes: Obama is President; I can carry up to an ounce of Marley but I can't buy or sell it (Is that progress or a bizarre-as-fuck lateral move? I do not know); an alarming amount of people -- I'm sure of it -- cast their votes without knowing where their candidate stood on the issues; Obama may prove to be our damnation, for all we know, but at least he's easier on the eyes and ears than the demon leaving office. And that makes all the difference.
--

Saw Changeling with Mara tonight. Initially, when we were deciding on a film to watch, she thought this one was Charlie Kaufman's latest, and sold it to me as such. Being a big Kaufman fan, I enthusiastically voted in favor of seeing it. Well, when I was checking movie times, I read a quick synopsis of the film and discovered that Charlie Kaufman had nothing to do with this film, but Clint Eastwood, who directed and scored it, had plenty. Clint, or Easty as I like to call him, is no slouch, so I wasn't too devastated about the mix up.

It was very well done. Long, though. I was starting to feel a little fidgety after the two hour mark (it ended twenty minutes later), but I think if I watch it in a different setting, I'd react differently. So here's the story, and it was a true one.

Woman (Angelina Jolie) in 1920's California discovers her son is kidnapped. Cops recover boy, only he's not the woman's son. Cops, trying to elevate a shoddy reputation and not wanting their work to look sloppy, insist that the boy is indeed her son. Woman refuses to accept their claim and for her troubles gets tossed into a sanitarium.

You're correct in thinking that doesn't sound very funny. Don't let that prevent you from seeing it, though-- it's meant to be a drama and not a hilarious comedy. Check it out.

No comments: