Tuesday, November 25, 2008

So take your hat off boy, when you're talking to me, and be there when I feed the tree

Just came back from a long run, probably my longest yet. And, aside from waiting to cross streets, I didn't stop once. Tomorrow, I will take a break from exercise and let my body recover. Pretty much every day over the last couple of weeks I've been out running or practicing yoga. Yes, tomorrow off and then on Thanksgiving, before we head to our familial destinations, Spira and I plan on going for a doozy of a run. That way, we can overeat later on without feeling too guilty about it.

A decent weekend. On Saturday, I had just finished doing yoga, when Marie, my landlord, knocked on the door. She is sweet, but she's a talker. And she tells the same stories, usually ones about her health, every time you see her. At one point, while telling me about her stay in the hospital when she was younger, she said, "And you know what I saw, lying in bed all by myself? The Sorrowful Mother." I reacted with a nod, as if she had told me she bought some red peppers at the market, but in my head I was thinking, Wow, wasn't expecting that! I took advantage of the opportunity to ask her if we could keep a dog in the house, knowing that if I didn't, I was going to have to call her about it and, consequently, have to hear her stories again.

She waved a hand at me and said "Oh, I don't mind if you get a dog. I love dogs." That was a relief, because the only way I could get Janelle to move in when Craig leaves, depended on whether dogs were allowed because she, well, has a dog.

When Craig had announced he was moving out, Janelle was on my wish list as a replacement, but it just didn't seem feasible for a variety of different reasons. So, I focused my attention elsewhere until recently, when it became apparent that there was a chance, albeit a rather small one at the time, that Janelle could be moving down here.

I was still doubtful, though, mostly because of the dog situation. I still hadn't asked Rich if he'd be ok with one and, even if he was , there was still Marie to contend with. Rich said he wouldn't mind a dog in the house, which was a mild surprise; he had mentioned getting a cat at one time and having a dog in the house would effectively put an end to that idea. When I asked about it, he said, " Well, I'd like a cat someday, but whatever, I'm cool with a dog, and I'd rather have a roommate at this point."

After getting the green light from both Rich and Marie, I was eager to call Janelle and see if she was still interested. It seemed to me that this was meant to happen. Everything seemed to be falling into place. Four months ago, if you had asked me what the chances were of Janelle becoming a housemate, I'd say they were pretty low. But life, as mundane as it can often be, can still surprise.

I spoke with Janelle and she's on board! It's such a relief knowing I'll be living with someone I'm close with and have known most of my adult life. And I'm down with Zico, her pooch. It's been too long since I've lived with a dog.

There is more to write about, but it's getting late and I'm tired. Tomorrow, I'll part two this mother fucker with tales of crappy poets, anger at Spira, my attraction to an utterly distasteful woman, family battles, Tibetan food and stolen leftovers, and much, much, more. Stay tuned, bitches!

No comments: