Tuesday, November 18, 2008

And we've got to get ourselves back to the garden

Ran four and a half miles tonight. From my house, through Union Square, and back; a steady, assured pace. Longer runs provide mental challenges. The mind invests itself in your failure out of a lack of anything better to do. It whispered the multitudinous ways in which I'd fail and sag to the earth like wet cardboard, but I gave it no authority over me. No small victory. Right now, I am a Titan. Right now, my heart beats fierce challenges to future obstacles, saying in its language I am not easily reckoned with.
--

Marcy was going over some new procedures with Sharon and me this morning. She began by telling us how much she appreciates our hard work. "When you're here, you work, and I couldn't ask for anything more", she said. It was nice to hear.

Rich has given up coffee. The other day I noticed his coffee maker was missing from the pantry. Last night, I told him I thought either he'd rid himself of his addiction or had grown more committed to it and brought the coffee maker into his bedroom where he'd have even easier access to it. Sounds like I was being funny, but I wasn't --Rich has his peculiarities and adores coffee the way my grandmother adores her grandchildren. So, yeah, I could picture him brewing a pot on the nightstand next to his bed while he's all snuggled up and warm under his quim-crusted blankets.

Just kidding about the blankets. I'm sure he cleans up after himself once the dust settles and his blood is down. But with what? A question worth pondering, but not here, not tonight.

He told me he was starting to get migraines drinking coffee and had to quit the habit. He was not pleased about it. The guy has been alcohol free for a few years and coffee was his last guilty pleasure. "But I can't abide migraines, so the coffee had to go" he said as if he was telling me he had to take his beloved dog out back and shoot it. Poor guy, but he'll be better off in the long run.

Riddle:

Who has a pure heart, makes all the beautiful babies say "holla", and is going to blow this joint and watch the Celtics play the Knicks?

Me, bitches!

No comments: