Sunday, November 16, 2008

In a sky full of people, only some want to fly

Spira and I had a fairly lengthy run this morning. We didn't attempt any hills like we usually do, but we made up for it in increased distance. Her pedometer told the story of a run that covered slightly over a mile. That story was fiction; I'm certain we ran over two miles, probably three. I meant to gauge the distance in my car afterwards, but I needed to go home, shower, and head over to Mara's.

Spira and I spent most of the weekend together. We ran Friday night, hung out at my place yesterday, and another run this morning. She is still getting over the break up and needed the company. Yesterday, we watched a ton of dog shows back-to-back on Animal Planet. I was convinced my dreams would be infested with canines, but they were not. Instead, I dreamt of Pea Eye, Call, Augustus,Deets, and other members of the Hat Creek Outfit. I had finished Lonesome Dove prior to Spira's arrival and the story hung heavy with me all day and into the evening.

As bittersweet as it was finishing the book, I will be reading its sequel, The Streets of Laredo, beginning tonight whenI finish writing this. After that I will read Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy, and then return to McMurtry, and read Dead Man's Walk and Comanche Moon, the two prequels to Lonesome Dove. That is the plan, anyway. I think, because of the high quality involved, it won't take me very long to do.

I've already, since the inception of my decree to finish the unread books in my collection, completed a few, and I think, by winter's end, there will only be a handful left to read.

Mara and I watched Human Nature on her laptop today. It was a good film, bizarre and warm. That's what you get when you pair Michel Gondry with Charlie Kaufman. The rest of our time together was spent eating french toast in her kitchen and taking a nap on her couch. Mara's always good for a nap.

Need to post an ad on Craig's List for a roommate. I'm confident we'll find someone compatible, though, ultimately it's always a crap shoot. We will see.

2 comments:

Janelle said...

What about me? Can I come live there? Do you think your landlord would accept a lovable, quiet and dependable dog?

Kevin said...

I shall investigate the matter. Stay tuned.