Friday, August 1, 2008

One hand is tied to the tightrope walker, the other is in his pants

Looking forward to seeing Bri, Mary, and everyone else up at the lake tomorrow. Should be a fun time. Although there will probably be room inside the house to sleep, I'm bringing my tent anyway. Could be the nearest thing to camping I'll get this summer. Too bad, I miss camping.

Been feeling strange lately. I've had this underlying sense that I'm not positioned where I should be in life. But at the same time I feel as if I'm exactly where I should be, according to the Grand Script. And I'm starting to feel older. The years crumble beneath my feet and avalanche into the dark abyss. And I'm helpless to stop it. These thoughts hold no value in terms of them being enlightening, because they're ones I, and probably everyone else with the most basic sense of self, have chewed over before. But they have served to remind me that I should make the most out of the time I have available to me, because it is in shorter and shorter supply with each passing moment.

Ultimately, I believe time is just a man made construct, but we nonetheless fall under it's jurisdiction. We nurture it, give it strength. I don't suspect we'll see beyond time, and it's bedfellow, space, for a long, long....well, time. Strange, but it's only been recently that I've acknowledged that my youth is behind me. I guess it was something I wasn't too keen on relinquishing. Still, though, I feel youthful, which should count for something.

I'm sure, because I've studied your reading habits, you skimmed over the above philosophizing, but if you're looking to skim over lighter fare, keep reading. The next paragraph is as light as a fawn's eyelash.

I was washing dishes this afternoon and I saw Stan, my neighbor from across the street, step onto his porch. He had the look of someone checking to see if the coast was clear, moving his head about like a squirrel in the grass . I discovered why when he swiveled his frame towards me and I got a frontal view. He was naked. When the realization hit was the precise moment we made eye contact. Guess the coast wasn't exactly clear, eh Stan? He quickly went back in the house, embarrassed at being caught. Strange what you see when you're doing the dishes.

Just watched Rendition. Pretty good, but not great. I thought I'd like it better. I still haven't watched Au Hasard Balthazar. It looks to be a rather heavy film, which means I'll have to pick the right time to view it.

I'm knee-deep into The Bonehunters, and it's been engrossing, to say the least. The more I read from this epic series, the more I appreciate it. The pieces of the puzzle are starting to come together and I marvel at how Erikson is able to keep the story, grand as it is, in check.

And that's all I have to say tonight. Lucky you.

No comments: