Monday, August 11, 2008

Oh, the snow fell without a break, Buffalo died in the frozen fields you know

Talked with my sister this morning about going to Maine this weekend. My mother says it will be the last time they rent the house by the ocean because it's just too much hassle. Despite feeling a little antsy (to put it politely) when I'm cooped up in the place for more than a few days with my family, I truly hope she'll reconsider; we've been going there for years. It's a family institution, for crissakes!

My sister and I agreed that if my parents decide not to rent the place next year, I'll pick up the slack and we'll go in on it together. It's a little pricey, but given the location and what it represents--a location where the family can get together for more than two or three hours at a clip-- it will be money well spent. I have visions of turning the place into a haven of thieves and malcontents, whores and drug-addled journeymen--- a real den of iniquity. However, in the interest of shielding my sister and her family from the horrors such visions present, I'll try only to envision more family oriented pursuits, like Scrabble and reading on the deck, taking place there.

I'll be heading up on Saturday. They're only renting the house for a week this year and this weekend will be my only window of opportunity. I'll be missing out on Mark and Becky's party where a good group of my friends will surely be . It's too bad the two events will collide. Maybe I'll be able to work something out.

It's increasingly more and more difficult to maintain friendships. And by maintain, I mean being actively, or even semi-actively, involved with friends. It's just not feasible for anyone most of the time, and when it is, it seems even the simplest things, like going out for a cup of coffee, take a herculean effort to accomplish. I'm not complaining, just observing. It is a little lonelier these days, but there are always new experiences to look forward to. And with that, I will change topics and refrain from becoming maudlin.

I was thinking about a good friend last night and wondered what could have happened between us if things played out differently. A fanciful thought but as lame as an injured horse. Unless, at the conclusion of my reverie, I determined I'd take whatever steps necessary to make her mine, and then took action, what was the point?. Well, I guess not everything has to have a point, especially our thoughts, which can be all over the map and disjointed, but I think you know what I mean. She is something, though, and you know, I think we would have paired up nicely. Just a thought.
--
Webster Tarpley's 9/11: Synthetic Terror arrived in the mail today. Good timing: I had just listened to a lecture given by this scholar last night and was eager to dive into the book. I read the preface already and will henceforth read from it sparingly. I'm still reading Bonehunters, which is a huge book, and Lonesome Dove, which is also huge. And there is also Watchmen to contend with. I'll try to finish at least one of them before I go headlong into Tarpley's tome. That's the plan, anyway, which knowing me, will likely change.

Off to White Hen for some supplies. Will relax tonight because tomorrow night I told Mara I'd attend a lecture in Boston given by a woman who converted to Judaism. Can't say I'm terribly amped about this, but you've got to be supportive, right?

No comments: