Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Meet me on the bus

Went in to work early this morning so I could get a few hours in before I had to leave for a dentist appointment. I ended up being about fifteen minutes late because that's the way the gods wanted it. I'm serious---and you know exactly what I'm talking about---there are those times when things happen in such a coordinated way, whether for or against you, that you have to believe, for whatever reason, things are unfolding by design. Look, one or two red lights and I don't say a word. One or two slow pokes in front of me---ok it happens. Traffic jam on 93---well, that happens, too. All of that at once? Fucking gods having a good time at my expense!

Anyway, no harm, no foul. I didn't get in trouble for being late. In fact, I seemed more peeved about it than anyone else. Fortunately, my ride home was much smoother, though I was almost late to the dentist. Had nothing to do with traffic though.

It was my first time going to this dentist, who has an office about two streets away from me on College Ave. I walked there and arrived with about five minutes to spare. I told the receptionist I had an appointment and she promptly told me I didn't. Of course I did, I told her. She shook her head solemnly. I asked her how many Somerville Dental Associates there were on this street? She said she didn't know, but I was at West Somerville Dental Associates.

I bolted out of there and walked down the street, hoping there was another dentist office. I found one and the receptionist told me the place I was looking for was a block or two up the street. I made it to my destination a few minutes later with a great amount of relief and asked the receptionist if having similarly named dentist offices on the same street ever causes the type of confusion I experienced. Not really, she replied. Of course not.

I had one of my top front teeth break off about a week ago and that, coupled with a whole bunch of work I need done, was the impetus that brought me to the dentist today. Though I'm not excited about the prospect of some pain-filled weeks ahead, I'm looking forward to having healthy teeth again.

I met Mara for lunch at Mr. Crepes in Davis Sq. after my appointment. I had the Super Avocado crepe. Delicious, let me tell you! Later, we went over to the farmer's market down the street and talked with a guy who was selling honey. What did we talk about? None of your god-damned business.

Off to watch a documentary on one of my favorite subjects: Bigfoot. Then, I'll check in on the Celtics.

No comments: