Monday, May 26, 2008

First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is

A good weekend. I ended up seeing less of Mara than I thought I would, but she had a couple of last minute photo gigs she couldn't pass up on. It was good having some time to myself. I got to catch up on some reading and work on some songs. Actually, now that I think of it, we did see each other quite a bit this weekend.

On Friday, we took a field trip to the Market Basket to gather some supplies for dinner. The Market Basket in Somerville is a choppy ride and one must have a steel resolve and an abiding faith in a higher being to get through the experience. We didn't have a lot of items to get, just food for dinner, but even still, my body emerged bruised from all the shoving and jostling and my psyche is still working its way through a little post traumatic stress.

The trip was well worth it, because the dinner turned out well. I made some salmon with steamed asparagus and sesame ginger rice on the side. We probably should have had wine with dinner, but it didn't happen. That's ok, wine gives me the agita.

On Saturday, I made pancakes for the household and Mara and I had to rush over to Club Passim in Harvard Sq. to see her friend Joel play. Fortunately, we didn't miss too much of his set, which was great, but not quite up my alley.

Saturday marked our one month anniversary and we wanted to go out to Redbones to celebrate, but because of time constraints, it never happened. The reason we wanted to go to Redbones, besides the fact that they make good food, was because they specialize in meat. For some reason, every place we've gone out to eat, which has been every Saturday night since we first started seeing each other, we've both ordered dishes that have been centered around meat, and usually a fair amount of it. Now, I understand that's kind of like saying "Every time we've gone out to a bar, we've ordered drinks with alcohol", but even though I'm not a vegetarian, I tend to lean towards that diet, and the same could be said for Mara. So, even though it's not a terribly odd thing to eat meat at dinner, it wasn't the norm for either of us, and that's why this story is so compelling. Nah, you're right---it pretty much sucks, but you just skimmed over it anyway, so what are you complaining about?
--

Went up to Tracy and Ray's for a cookout yesterday and the only word that can sum up the experience aptly is nourishing. I think a lot of us felt that way. To see people, some of whom I hadn't seen in over a year, was food for the soul. It becomes trickier to see your friends with the same frequency and ease as when you were younger. Trickier, but still essential.

I planned on getting drunk, something I rarely do, but it didn't happen. I had some of Janelle's tasty sangria and planned on riding its current straight into intoxication, but by the time I finished my first cup, there was no more left. So, I switched over to beer, but I kept forgetting to go back for more and consequently, ended up with only a moderate buzz. Better that way, I think; I'm not a fan of the requisite vomiting and and hangovers that getting drunk provides.
--

I think I have plans today, but I'm not sure if they'll pan out. Either way, I'm going to take advantage of the day off. Peace, bitches.

No comments: