Saturday, May 3, 2008

And I've been waiting for a year or a day, some strange weather must be blowing my way

I'm up earlier than I'd care to be, but I've soon got things to do and going back to sleep now would not be a good thing. Today is Somerville Open Studios and I'm slated to check out at least four different places. I'll probably spend the bulk of my time at Mara's and then branch out. I have no real sense of how long I'll be out and about. I do know that at some point I've got to come back to the apartment and get things ready for Spira's party.
--
Luke Warm came over to watch the C's last night and, unfortunately, they lost(!) and will now have to face a confident Atlanta in a game seven. During the first half of the game, Rich's friend Murph joined us in the living room and proceeded to go talk non-stop for about a half hour straight. Luke Warm had more patience with him than I had. I wanted to listen to the professionals call the game and not some guy who gleaned all of his basketball knowledge from the local news.

Really, it was frustrating sitting through his jabbering. I played a game where I silently counted to ten when he wasn't talking. The idea was to make it to ten before he started yapping again, but it never worked. On average, he'd last about six seconds. I kept the game up for what seemed like forever, and then gave up in frustration. I like Murph, and I know he was only trying to be social, but I'm not always a big fan of situations where someone forces you to focus all of your attention on them all of the time. Yes Murph, I know Kevin Garnett is a good player; I'd heard that somewhere before. And yes, I know Doc Rivers is the coach.

During half time, I went into the kitchen to grab a drink. Rich came in and asked if Murph was bothering us. I told him he wasn't, but did comment that Murph was "on a roll tonight". I went back to the living room and Murph was still going. I figured out what he was doing; he was commenting on every image that appeared on the TV. If it was a commercial for Wendy's, he'd start riffing about how the company got started. If Kevin Garnett shot a nice basket, he'd riff about KG's technique. Now that I think about it, Murph is Cliff Claven. What d'you know.
--
Ok, I've got to start getting ready. It's another gloomy, chilly day. I liked it better in March. I'm going to see how things go today, but there's been something that's been on my mind the last couple of days, most of it seemingly trivial, that I may want to workshop in this here blog. I hope I don't, because I'd like for some things in my life to be smooth and pure and uncomplicated. Is that too much to ask?

No comments: