Sunday, March 18, 2007

Strange days have tracked us down

Spira burned me a copy of the new Arcade Fire album, and I'm giving it a second listen now. So far I think it's a decent album, but nothing has really jumped out at me. Yet. If I remember correctly, Doug advised multiple listens for it to really sink in. I suspect he's right; with every listen I'm enjoying it more.
--
Today I received a message on MySpace from an old friend from high school. When we met, we became fast friends. The last time I saw her was at our Senior banquet. We shared a slow dance and I confessed to her my regret that I'd never asked her out. I had always wanted to, but my fear of rejection had control of the ship. But there on the dance floor, our time at school at an end, and her looking so pretty, I spilled my guts. I left it at that, and my memory is foggy as to what her reaction was. I'm not sure precisely why it was left at that---maybe she was seeing someone at the time, or maybe I didn't have the sack to do the natural thing and ask her out. Maybe she'll help fill in the blanks.

There is more to tell about this recent development, including a remarkable instance of synchronicity, but I'd like to keep that part private for now. What a day.

1 comment:

Sun Wu Kung said...

You know, it's funny. After our Springsteen conversation, the Arcade Fire cd doesn't sound as good, because I keep reading it in that light. At first I told myself it was "Because the Night Belongs to Lovers" type Springsteen, which is tolerable. You hear that in "Keep the Car Running." But then I heard the Boss elsewhere and it brought a certain flatness along with it.

I suppose I will also prefer the first cd, because this one is bolder, but it has been toned down and dulled at the edges.

I have a small collection of new cds I haven't even had a chance to listen to. Maybe I will and will report back with my observations.

Over and out.