Thursday, March 15, 2007

No more workhorse blues

It was pretty busy at work today (after being unemployed for so long, it feels strange saying that) and my workload was increased substantially. Because I'm still green, it was a shade unnerving having to accomplish tasks quickly, but it produced an acceleration in growth, which suited me just fine. The sooner I can wriggle free of my metaphorical diapers, the better. Knowing next to nothing isn't a pleasant affair, especially when dealing with customers who aren't very cozy with the English language, or people who have to know every fineprint detail about of our business for them to be satisfied that we are not some Three Card Monty operation looking to swindle them out of their last few pennies. Even still, I'm satisfied with the way things have been going.

Every day a homeless person comes in briefly to say hi and make awkward small talk. Karen told me he started doing that in the winter in order to warm up. Today he came in and introduced himself to me and shook my hand. His nails dug into my palm, they were long and jagged, and once he left I couldn't get myself to the bathroom fast enough to wash my hands. For future reference, Karen advised me I should tell him I have a cold, like she does, when he goes to shake my hand. I will take her advice.
--
Luke Warm and I made it to our seats just as the game started last night. We were waaaayyyy up in the balcony behind the net and it took and it took a few minutes for the vertigo to abate. Our seats were at such a sharp angle to the floor below, I felt like I should we should have been strapped in to our seats.

About five minutes into the game, a guy sitting a couple of rows behind us would bellow "D-up, D-up, play some DEFENSE!", at the top of his lungs, every time the Celtics were on defense. Every time. Every....single.....time. He pissed off every row in front of him, but no one said anything, probably for the same reason that I didn't: he was a big man who looked like he enjoyed enacting violence on anyone who gave him even the slightest reason to. He eventually gave up his roll as the Celtics remote defensive coach when he discovered he wasn't having much of an effect on their play.

At half time, Luke and I changed our seats. We had scoped out a section on the floor that no one was sitting in and made our way there. No one stopped us and our seats were a dramatic improvement over our original ones. We were so close to the players that we could hear them talking. It was incredible. I'd never sat so close to the action before. And the whole thing was free. Thanks for the tickets, Chris.

I'm tired and will go to bed earlier than I did last night, which was some time after midnight. I need to be refreshed tomorrow in order to face the snow that will be wreaking havoc on the day.

No comments: