Thursday, March 29, 2007

And if he tells us all he knows, about the way his river flows...

Around four o'clock today, my boss informed me that Al, our driver, screwed up and went to a location other than the one he was supposed to go to for a delivery. Consequently, Audaire and I had to make Al's deliveries for him, deep in the heart of Boston. The first place we went to was an easy drop off: sixty folding chairs and two small card tables on the first floor of a building. The second location was a pick up of eighteen conference tables at Anthony's Pier 4 about ten minutes away. When we got there, we were told the tables were on the second floor. So up and down we went, 'midst the upper class, with our heads bowed in meekness, low-born wretches through and through. The place had a wall of fame that extended all the way up the stairs to floor above, and I was equally impressed and disgusted by all the framed pictures of aging, wealthy, and white celebrities, political figures, and business magnates. The photo of Vincent Price standing next to the proprietor of the joint was my favorite, only because I learned that he was much taller than I thought he was.

We got back to work around six and I was dying to get home, but through some act of sorcery or plain bad luck, it took me twice as long to arrive there. Somehow, I ended up back at work after sifting through traffic and being jostled against my will from lane to lane by the swarming rage of fed up and dangerous drivers. Nervewracking and puzzling, butI kept my center and made it home eventually and read the letter my grandmother had sent me.

What I thought would be a nice letter from my Nana turned out to be a guilt trip about me not calling my parents enough. I don't call my parents that much, I admit---maybe once every one or two weeks---but they don't call me that much either. I love my parents and enjoy talking with them, I just sometimes don't get around to calling. Odd letter. I must now officially be the black sheep of the family, because every one else is married, has kids, and does all the family stuff with vigor and glee. Ah, but I have a pure heart, and these matters can't affect me in any negative way. Rock on, self: no one can hate on you.

No comments: