Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Young man full of big plans and thinking about tomorrow

The other day I found myself reading David Ray Griffin's critique of the 9/11 Commission Report. I had put the book down months and months ago; something, I don't know what, put it back in my hands. As I read, old feelings resurfaced. Among them, outrage, disbelief, and frustration. Maybe that's why I put the book down in the first place.

I was reading a chapter concerning Osama Bin Laden when I decided to watch a DVD. I turned the TV on and the first thing I saw was an image of Bin Laden with the headline "Osama Bin Laden Is Dead" at the bottom of the screen. My first thought was, "Two fairy tales in a matter of days" (the first was the royal wedding if you need a reference). My second thought was, "Why now, when I'm all worked up about this stuff?".

Look, my intent here is not to go down the 9/11 rabbit hole. It's too deep and, frankly, it would take several posts to scratch the surface, something I'm not about to do for a welter of reasons, not least of which is that it would probably be a waste of time. Readers, if you have questions, I'll be happy to address them, but for now let's return to Bin Laden.

Operating under the premise that Bin Laden is exactly what we've been told he is, a bogeyman responsible for 9/11 and a panoply of other terrorist attacks worldwide, I still find it disturbing the blood lust people have been exhibiting over his death. This is not to suggest I condone his crimes or cannot understand why people, especially those who lost loved ones on 9/11, would react this way, but it's disturbing and disappointing nonetheless.

Hate begets hate; I wonder if we can break the cycle. We're supposed to be the most evolved society, but the world sees our hubris and the disconnect between what we profess to be and how we are perceived. Remember what Carlin said: "The thing about the American dream is you have to be asleep to believe it".

In a way, I wish I could have shared the jubilee surrounding Bin Laden's "death". I'm not kidding. I wish I didn't question why the most evil motherfucker since Hitler wasn't brought back alive for questioning and a trial, and short of that, why he was quickly and irresponsibly buried at sea. On a related note, I shot and killed a Bigfoot last week, but I buried him at sea so as not to offend Bigfoot enthusiasts around the world (I suppose you could argue that by killing one, I already offended them quite handily, but whatevs). And yes, I took pictures, but you see I shot him in the face and I don't feel right about showing the world that gruesome visage. So what I did was bury the photos at sea near where I buried the body. Don't get caught up on the fact that there's no evidence any of this actually happened, because let me tell you, there is irrefutable evidence: my WORD, son! If you question it, then you're ruining the good vibe we're all experiencing at finally proving the existence of that elusive giant ape. No one likes a downer, so keep you mouth shut if you don't have anything good to say, you wacked out conspiracy theorist.

Ah, I'm running out of steam. I'm a bit tired and trying to come to terms with the fact that the Celtics are not what they once were. The swagger, the air of dominance, has withered, I fear. I hope I'm wrong; I would love to see them get past Miami, but it's not looking good. Still, I have faith in them, and will stick by their side till the bitter end.

Oh, not for nothing, but if I don't get laid soon, I don't know what I'm going to do. Good thing I don't live near a farm.

And with that, I'm out.

No comments: