Monday, May 23, 2011

Me and my woman

Ran into Sarah at Trader Joe's yesterday. I hadn't seen her in years, not since Foley's wedding, but, as things go these days, I'm friends with her on Facebook and occasionally communicate with her there, so it seems like it hasn't been that long. Anyway, it was nice seeing her. We have similar tastes in music and film, so our conversation ranged from Werner Herzog, the Fleet Foxes show and new record, Guy Maddin, to Tom Waits. Considering how rare it is I get to talk shop with someone about stuff like that, I probably should have asked her to hang out some time, but it didn't feel right to do so. Maybe I over-thought it. I do wish I told her about the weird Simpsons synchronicity.

One day she posted a Homer Simpson quote on Facebook and it gave me an itch to watch the episode it derived from. I own a couple of seasons on DVD. I popped in a random disc, selected a random episode and, no shit, it was the same one the quote was from. The odds against this happening are pretty great, especially considering how long the show has been on. I wonder what it all means.
-
We were supposed to meet with Jeff today to find out what was going on with our jobs. I maintained a level of presence leading up to the announcement that prevented me from feeling any anxiety about it. I was at work for about an hour when Jeff left the office. He was gone for several hours. At around one, I left for Nashua to record some docs at the registry. Looked like I was going to have to wait to find out.

Jeff called me in the car and apologized for having to tell me over the phone, but he had gotten back to the office later than he expected and, in the interest of not prolonging it, told every one what was going to happen. The long and short of it is we're each going to have to forfeit a day of work while the company limps along. Despite this cut, I was pleased with the news because A) I still have a job and B) I expected, if we were to remain open, there to be a more significant cut in hours, like down to one or two days a week. So, there's that. Now, at least, I'll have income while I pursue another job.

Another gloomy day, but better weather is forecast for the days ahead. I actually don't mind the cool, overcast weather so much. Great for sleeping and conducive to curling up with a book. Still, I'm looking forward to some sun, son!

No comments: