Saturday, May 14, 2011

Rebound, rebound, rebound, rebound - ready, ok!

During a run the other day, I had to sidestep several people who were about to walk right into me because they were texting and almost completely unaware of their surroundings. I say they were texting - some were, for sure- but I'm sure it was more than that; they may have been playing Angry Birds or surfing the web.

By no means do I intend to suggest advancements in technology are uniformly unhealthy, but it's disconcerting to see people become so unaware, so not present as a consequence. It has not been uncommon to see groups of people paying more attention to their phones or lap tops than to each other. They're together, but only in the strictest sense of the word. It's one reason I don't have a burning desire to get an iPhone. Seems like almost everyone I know who's gotten one has become its bitch, for lack of a better word. I was at a gathering recently that was not everything it could have been because of this divided attention.

I'm not against technology, it has improved and has the capacity to improve our lives in a panoply of ways. Like with anything, it can be used for good or ill. Guess I've just been seeing more of the ill lately.

No comments: