Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Her eyes are a blue million miles

A day spent traveling. I did work at the registries in Salem, Lawrence, and Nashua. In my car, I listened to sports radio. We have two stations and both were annoying me, so I opted for some music (For some reason, while driving, I seem to prefer listening to people talk over listening to music, even though most of the time the talk I'm hearing is not intriguing and offensive to me on some level. Guess I get lonely and need some company).

It never ceases to amaze me how caught up people get in sports. The Red Sox have played only three games of a verrrrryyyyyyyy long season and many of their fans, at least the ones calling in to the radio stations, are in a near, if not total, panic. The tension in their voices was palpable as I listened today.

"Ya gotta fy-ah Tito! He's gonna bring tha whole thing down!"

" Three games! They caann't even win three frickin' games! Season ovah!"

As I drove, I wondered why anyone would want to live like that. Rarely happy, often miserable. The Celtics lose a game and it's "They shouldn't have traded Perk! Danny blew their playoff chances!" Similar for the Bruins and Patriots. It's the same with every sport, though I think the pathos is heightened in baseball fans, particularly those who follow the Red Sox or Yankees. They're a different, manic, breed. They annoy me more than fans of other sports, probably because I'm not that into baseball, and share not a whit their silly worries or concerns. Ah, let 'em have their "fun", Kevin. If they really bother you that much, you should listen to more NPR.

Good point.
--
Practiced yoga after work. Good session. I pushed myself without being too rigid and worked on my breathing. I was going to go for a run, but the rain changed everything. I'll go for a run tomorrow, even if it's raining. You'll see.

Maddin's Dracula: Pages From A Virgin's Diary was fantastic. The incorporation of ballet into Maddin's film style was something to behold. I can assure you you've never seen the story of Dracula told in such a way. Whenever I watch one of his films I'm inspired to create. Inspired, I say!

Tonight's play list includes Roy Harper, Woods, Brian Eno, Grateful Dead, Journey, Deer Hunter, Sleater-Kinney, Captain Beefheart, Supertramp, Los Lobos, St. Vincent, Aerosmith (Last Child, Back In The Saddle. Hell, yeah!), Laura Nyro, Roky Erikson, and Kraftwerk. I put it together quickly. We'll see how it gels.

Today flew by, but it was a touch draining. I managed to squeeze in some grocery shopping between registries and by the time I got home, I was a bit mentally fatigued. Some cuddle time with Pooch Edward Bottoms followed by yoga and a delicious and nutritious dinner of chicken thighs, mixed greens, and roasted zucchini, squash, and sweet potatoes, did the trick in rejuvenating me. I'm getting sleepy now, though, despite the coffee I'm drinking. Fading, fading, fading....

No comments: