Tuesday, June 15, 2010

You're gonna make me lonesome when you go

I've had two new songs looping in my head all day. Fine with me -- I'm really fond of them. I may be stating the obvious, but I write songs I'd like to hear. These two, while I think they're great, may be rubbish to anyone else. Good thing I'm not writing for anyone else.
--

I'm loving it: we're heading into July and it's all basketball talk on the sports radio stations I listen to when I drive. Soon enough, it will be the excruciating over-analysis of every bit of minutia concerning The Red Sox. If someone on the team has a hangnail, it will be discussed ad nauseum for days and days and days. Though I have nothing against it, I don't watch baseball, so even rational, informative talk about the sport would mean little to me, but the aforementioned nonsense? No way, son!

My phone just vibrated, letting me know I have a new voice mail. Hmm, that's odd: my phone's been beside me for the last hour. How did I miss the call? Oh, yes, silly me, I forgot - for some reason I don't get service roughly between six and seven every night. No calls can go out (I call a number and "Temporary Failure" pops up on the screen, effectively ending the call) and no calls can come in. So, basically, my phone was letting me know someone called and left me a voice mail that I CAN'T RETRIEVE! Ah, technology. Dropped calls, phone shutting off at random intervals, and now this. Makes me pine for the good old days of land lines.

It was probably my dad calling. I had called him earlier in the day. He's got to be the happiest retiree in the North East right now. My mother is spending the week at my grandmother's house and he'll be all alone. Ever since my mother retired, he's been feeling a bit encroached, I think. At least for the next several days, he can spread his wings.

And now, I'll spread mine and venture off to other things, one of which will be to watch the Celtics game. I may even work on some lyrics, time permitting. We shall see.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I am sure that your songs are not rubbish Kevin.

As for your phone, I am wondering if it is an LG? Melanie used to sell cell phones and she said that they all joked that it stood for: "Looks Good but it's a Lousy Gadget." In any case I will try to remember not to call you between six and seven.

Despite being a pretty rabid Red Sox fan, even I get tired of the incessant dissection on talk radio. If they have something interesting to say I will listen but I just don't care about the everyday time filler stuff.

Kevin said...

It is indeed an LG, but I think it might be the service. We'll see. I've got other issues with the phone, though.

Oh, I don't think my songs are rubbish, but I understand they're not for everyone. Thanks for the support.