Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Here's a truck stop instead of St. Peter

Three calls today from the dentist's office. Not my regular place, but the one I'm going to for the root canal. Three calls. The first was made this morning: no message; had no idea who it was. The second call was made around two and a a message was left. It was the receptionist reminding me I had an appointment tomorrow. She was also wondering if I'd be willing to change my appointment from the afternoon to the morning. The third call was around four. Her tone suggested she'd been trying to get a hold of me for a week and was starting to finally become fed up. "Hi Kevin, sorry to bother you, but I really would like to hear back from you for confirmation and about whether you can switch your appointment to the morning. Please give me a call."

I wasn't thrilled at being badgered in this manner. Three calls was a bit much. It seemed evident to me that there was a scheduling conflict and she was scrambling to fix it. Not my problem. I called her back after work and she immediately asked me about coming in the morning instead of the afternoon. "No, I'd prefer to keep my appointment in the afternoon", I said, barely able to conceal my annoyance.

"Ok, we'll see you at four, then", she said curtly and hung up. Now, do you think it was possible that I may have unleashed my tongue at that moment and said "Fucking bitch!" with a healthy dose of contempt? Could someone with a pure heart and an infinite amount of love and respect for women say such a thing? I'll leave that for you to decide, dear reader.
-
Rachael came by last night and hung out with Janelle and me. Always love seeing her. We discussed the merits of scallops and bacon and made plans to watch the extended versions of each movie in the Lord of The Rings trilogy back to back. It will take over twelve hours to accomplish, but I think we can do it. It's been on my bucket list. I think Craig has done it, or at least made the attempt. I'll have to ask him.
-
I'm pretty sure Janelle and I are alone in enjoying the sound of the vovozelas that have been prominent throughout the World Cup. Seriously, everyone hates them the way I hate that awful singer from the Counting Crows. I'm glad I have an ally in this.
-

Ugh. Having trouble lately assembling ideas for this blog. The ideas are there, but the ambition is not. There was a topic I wanted to flesh out, but I just don't have the energy. Not tonight. It is hot and muggy and I've got the AC on, which has the tendency to make me sleepy and, consequently, unambitious. Like how I blamed the AC for my lack of drive? The buck has been passed.

Ok, off to watch some World Cup even though I already know all the damn scores, despite a herculean effort to avoid such knowledge. Still, I'm looking forward to watching the USA beat Algeria and England beat Slovenia. May do some reading on the porch, possibly with BBZ at my side and maybe I'll see the one I've developed a crush on walk by.

No comments: