Monday, June 28, 2010

I came out here to look for my friend, I don't think I'll ever see him again

While sitting on the wooden bench during break today, I fell asleep. I was engaged in Ficciones, and then I drifted from this world. It was so quiet and peaceful; I couldn't help myself. I was only asleep for a few minutes, but it was an indication of how tired I was.

Yesterday, I took another marathon walk along the bike path. My trip lasted about three hours and covered a distance of close to eleven miles. I only stopped once to take a pee in the woods, which was more hazardous than I anticipated. I didn't make it my grandmother's house, but I went further this time and fully intend to end up there eventually. Upon my arrival home, I realized I was late for Aviv's gig in Union Square. I took a quick shower, got dressed, picked up Mara, and headed over to the pub. I even managed to sneak in a banana, which wasn't as enjoyable as it would have been a couple of days ago, but it was the nourishment I needed.

Among those in attendance were Shane, Karen, Janelle, Janelle's aunt Diane, Spira. A good show, performed by a string quartet. The music was in the vein of Django Reinhardt and anytime I get to hear cello, upright bass, violin (oh, especially that), and guitar, I know I'm in for a good time. And I was, apart from feeling sluggish(despite the banana) and enduring a throbbing post-root canal mouth.

After spending some time there, Mara and headed back to her house and put on Herzog's The Great Ecstasy of Wood Carver Steiner. I fell asleep fifteen minutes in. I've seen the documentary a bunch of times already, so I didn't miss out. Back at home I made some coffee and watched Francis Ford Coppola's Tetro.

I enjoyed the film. Shot in black and white, it tells the story of a young man meeting up with his writer brother in Buenos Aires, where he lives with his wife in self-imposed exile. Very operatic, this film and beautifully shot. Plenty of humor, plenty of pathos - and entirely bohemian.
-
Today I felt lousy about a number of things in my life. I counseled myself to keep a rational outlook. I'm not about suppressing negative feelings, they should have their say, but the trick is to keep them in check and not let them become overblown, which is precisely why I consider it a victory that I'm not catering to them in this post. As I said, I'm not about suppressing negative feelings, but I'm equally not about feeding the damn things. It was a struggle, but I came out of it okay; in one piece, as they say. I let go of the nonsense, the woe is me stuff, the creeping despair.
-
I'm getting tired. Maybe an early night, but knowing me I'll find a way to go to bed far too late. We'll see. Before that happens, tne thing I need to do is get some lyrics written; rev up the song machine. And then I need to get of my butt and book some gigs. But that will be for another time.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Why yes, Kevin you DO need to book some gigs so that I can come hear and see you play. So get on that, would you? :O) Also, you need to avail yourself for a long anticipated face to face. You are more elusive than your friend Bigfoot.