Sunday, June 6, 2010

All the rockets go bang

I just finished watching The Road. Not quite the laugh riot I was expecting, it being the story of a father trying to protect his son in a post-apocalyptic world and all, but it did measure up to the book pretty well and, thus, I'm glad I watched it. Now all I've got to do is wait for the dark cloud that's been lurking above me ever since to dissolve. Don't fret, dear readers: this post will not be a dour one.

As a gesture of good faith, I'll begin with the fine wedding I attended over the weekend. My friends Jaegan and April tied the knot up in Olgunquit, Maine. Janelle, Aviv, Baby Boy Z, and I got off to a late start and ended up missing the ceremony, but we were right on time for the reception, which everyone knows is the funnest part of a wedding. It's dessert.

Many friends were in attendance. Some of them, like Mark and Becky, I haven't seen in close to a year. Even Luke Warm, who had gone underground months ago, was there. I talked some World Cup soccer with Ray during the meal (he's English, so of course we did). At one point, he asked me if I was interested in getting married. "Without question", I told him. "What I'm more interested in, though, is the idea of being with someone I share a deep and solid bond with." We went on to discuss the importance of being with someone you really connect with.

The reception wrapped up sooner than I expected. I had just finished my fourth beer when people started filtering out. Some friends, the ones who were staying the night, retreated to their respective rooms for naps or a change of clothes. Others got in their cars and left. That left a few of us hanging out in the parking lot deciding what to do next. My plan was to catch a ride home with Spira, as Janelle and Baby Boy Z were staying the night. Before that was to happen, though, the three of us, sans BBZ, who stayed back with Aviv at the hotel, took a walk down to the beach. We took off our shoes and walked along the water. I rolled up my dress pants and let the tide lick at my feet. I lamented not bringing a change of clothes, but it was no big thing.

We ran into Becky, Karen, and Marissa, and continued walking. There was a hazy pinkness blanketing everything, cloud and sky merged in a soft pastel. It was like a dream, or maybe like being dead. Whatever it was, it was pleasant and comforting. Becky and I, immersed in conversation, had gotten ahead of the group. It occurred to us at the same time to look back and see if they were still following. Right as we did, we saw Janelle and Karen waving us back.

I found the synchronicity interesting, especially when Janelle revealed she had told Karen, who was wondering how they were going to get our attention, that the best way to do so was to telepathically deliver their intentions directly to the wavelength of my pure heart. Well, it worked. If there was ever doubt about the purity of my heart, here was irrefutable evidence. No joke. This really happened.

We met up with Tracy, Ray, Heath, Aaron, and Mark. Heath and Ray had fishing rods and were casting from the shore. We hung around a bit longer and then headed back. Spira and I hit the road and everyone else made dinner plans. If I didn't have wet pants and sand in my socks and boxers, I probably would have stayed. With these people, parting is always such sweet sorrow.

Back home, Spira and I went to Yoshi's for dinner. We had tuna tartar and an avocado salad for appetizers and then it was sushi the rest of the way. Rolls of yellowtail, tuna and avocado, and the always transcendent Black Dragon, made an appearance. A fine meal.
-
After one too many restless nights of sleep due to oppressive humidity, I installed my AC today. So much better. I'll sleep the good sleep tonight.

The Celtics just tied up the series 1-1. A good game, Ray Allen sunk threes like they were going out of style, but I didn't watch too much of it. As much as I love these games, I still can't bring myself to watch them straight through. I just can't justify devoting three hours to any sport these days.

Monday looms. Work has been slow; I hope things pick up this week. Everything seems to be so uncertain. I'm not just talking about work.

Been re-watching The Wire. Man, did that series ruin other shows for me. One of the best shows I've ever seen.
--

I think I'll go take a shower. There will be soap, there will be shampoo; there will be water and a towel to dry off with. But you kind of suspected that, didn't you?

2 comments:

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

Sounds like the a great weekend!
I think that there is a book out called The Road? Super dark and scary... I wonder if they made it into a movie... hmmm I may have to look into that. When it comes to "Dark and scary" I would rather watch than read, and if its the same one that I am thinking of... I was told the book was terrific.

Kevin said...

The movie was based on the book by Cormac McCarthy. It was the first book I read by him. This is the least challenging of his books, at least among the ones I've read. He's a master of the language and here his prose is simple and evocative to great effect. I think he won the Pulitzer for this one. Really cast a spell over me. One of my favorite books.

The movie captured the book spot on, but as with any adaptation, a little was lost in the translation. Definitely dark and scary, but mostly just bleak and sad. Great acting, powerful visuals. Check it out, Leigh. I'd love to know what you think.