Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Take me to heart, and I will always love you

After work, I practiced yoga and then made a super salad. When I lived with Spira, she used to make salads with a welter of healthy ingredients. Even though she was breaking rule #3 in the Book of Salad Etiquette, which states that a salad's ingredients must not number more than four, I was impressed and soon after began making my own "super salads". The one I made tonight was so potent I felt like Popeye after a can of spinach. I didn't go around beating the shit out of people like Popeye was known to do, but I was injected with vim and vigor. See, that's what it's about: feeling good! And feeling good is good enough, to quote a line uttered by who-the-eff-knows in Platoon.

Anyway, the ingredients.

1. mixed greens ( w/ plenty of baby spinach)

2. grape tomatoes

3. oil cured black olives

4. tofu marinated in teriyaki sauce

5. Extra sharp cheddar cheese

6. sprouts (alfalfa, and some others I can't recall)

7. cashews (my favorite nut ever since it beat out the pistachio in a stunning upset a few years
ago)

8. onion (Bermuda style)

9. sweet potato (I love it so much it hurts!)

10. blueberries

11. black beans

12. avocado (I love it so much it hurts!, part two)

13. orange pepper

14. extra virgin olive oil (the only dressing I ever use)

15. cookie dough ( not true but I wanted to see if you were still reading)

Pretty good, huh? Only slightly more nutritious and tasty than a McGriddle, but still worth it.
--

The Celtics/Lakers game is on soon. I will probably miss some of it in favor of working on some songs, a couple of which are new and could amount to something. We'll see. I'd also like to read from Lord Dunsany's The King of Elfland's Daughter. I've only read about ten or so pages of it, but I've been floored at least a couple of times by the lyrical, descriptive prose, and how the book has unexpectedly got me thinking about different aspects of my life. Lord Dunsany wrote the book with quill and ink in 1923, or thereabouts, which indicates to me every word, every sentence, was important to him.

To wit:

And the color of Elfland, of which I despaired to tell, may yet be told, for we have hints of it here; the deep blue of the night in Summer just as the gloaming has gone, the pale blue of Venus flooding the evening with light, the deeps of lakes in the twilight, all these are hints of that colour. And while our sunflowers carefully turned to the sun, some forefather of the rhododendrons must have turned a little towards Elfland, so that some of that glory dwells with them to this day. And, above all, our painters have had many a glimpse of that country, so that sometimes in pictures we see a glamour too wonderful for our fields; it is a memory of theirs that intruded from some old glimpse of the pale-blue mountains while they sat at easels painting the fields we know.

Neil Gaiman, in his preface to the book, referred to it as a "rich, red, wine". I already agree, this early on. The above is pure poetry; it speaks to our deeper levels and that is why I find it so beautiful. The King of Elfland's Daughter, along with other works by Lord Dunsany, had been out of print until recently. A shame, but I'm glad he's back.

And with that, I'm off to the fields I know.

7 comments:

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

You put a sweet potato in your salad!? Interesting. :)

I am so frustrated... I have looked high and low for "The Road" It use to be here somewhere! Where did it go!? err Anyways, looks like I will be purchasing a new copy unless the Library carries it. May be able to start it next week, I working on "Shoot the Moon" right now but after your review and a few others I cant wait to dive in.

Kevin said...

I first make strips out of the sweet potato and then bake them in olive oil. Great snack, too.

Shoot The Moon, by Billie Letts?

I bet I know where The Road is - in your rubber boots. Seriously, go look.

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

We planted sweet Potatos last year. Not a fan which is odd because I am a fan of most veggies... Sweet Potatos and Lima Beans are on the very short list of foods I prefer not to eat unless necessary (like in moments of starvation or by being polite).

Yes "Shoot the Moon" by Billie Letts. Have you read it? I am only on chapter Nine. Who did it!? Its killing me!

I already checked my boots! It wouldnt have helped me if it were there anyways... I had about 4 inches of water in them. I did check it out at the library today though! Yeah! I cant wait to start. May even start this evening.

Kevin said...

I haven't read Shoot The Moon, but if you want, I'll find out who did it and tell you.

As for The Road, could be you're reading it as I type this. Makes me want to read it again.

For me, it's raisins that make me frown. I've given them plenty of chances over the years, but I just can't embrace them. Maybe some day. Imagine how awful it is for me when I bite into a cookie thinking there are chocolate chips in them when they're actually raisins. It's no fun, I tell you.

Kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate said...

Well I can't really add anything to the book discussion because I am illiterate. (No, I just don't enjoy reading as much as I should.) But to the food discussion, which I could talk about until the end of time, I can add plenty. I like raisins quite a bit and have been eating Raisin Bran for breakfast (Post Raisin Bran the brand that DOES NOT put High Fructose Corn Syrup in their cereal) for the last two weeks. I must say that Kevin's recipe for sweet potatoes sounds excellent and I will have to give it a try But for me the thing that I don't like is that Anis flavor when I am not expecting it. Typically Anis shows up in deserts like cookies but it can also be present in pasta sauces if whoever made it went a little nuts with the fennel. However at least there are usually enough flavors to overcome the Anis from the fennel.

Kevin said...

Kate, here's what you do:

Peel and cut the sweet potato into slices. Place them on a cookie sheet. Drape some onion on top (comes out tasting a little sweet, but still onion-like)and drizzle some olive oil over everything. Bake in oven for about twenty five minutes, or until soft, at 425 degrees.

I've been eating it with an egg in the morning, in salads, and sometimes as a snack. Delish!

I'll tell you what, Kate: you'll never have to worry about me stealing any of your Raisin Bran.