Friday, June 25, 2010

I wouldn't move to stop her theft, her deft hand moved across my chest

Very thirsty. Allow me to pause and drink deeply my water. Ahh...that's better. I walked over ten miles after work. Took about three hours. I was so thirsty; of course I didn't bring anything to drink; would have been too practical. Instead, I looked at puddles of brackish water and other suspect liquids lustily as I headed home. I went to Shaws and bought several bottles of water and some orange juice. I was barely out of the store before I cracked one open. So, to come full circle, I'm still pretty thirsty, a couple of hours later.
-
On the bike path earlier, I was singing aloud to the song playing on my iPod-I think it was Elliot Smith's "Condor Avenue"- and feeling pretty good. An elderly woman walking by frowned at me as I sang. It could have been because she didn't like my singing, but I'm a pretty good singer, so I'm going to say it wasn't that, but I don't sing like Bing Crosby, so maybe she did find my singing atrocious (For those of you not keeping track, I used variations of the word sing four time in that sentence. I was going to go for five, but I like to pace myself).

I digress. What I was trying to illustrate is that some people don't like to see other people happy. I don't know if the woman I described is like that, but it sure felt like it. I only had a sourpuss on my face for a few seconds before returning to my revery. This world can suck the happiness right out of you if you let it. It happens in soft increments over the years, so you've got to be vigilant. Alright? Don't let 'em bring you down. Fuck 'em. Be happy for happy's sake. Kill 'em with kindness, that sort of thing. Yes, I returned to my revery, I sang even louder.

Lately, for some reason I can't fathom, some people have been dismissive of and/or rude to me. And I've got to say, as objectively as I can manage, that I did not deserve to be treated that way. Happened with people I don't know and with someone I know quite well. As I advocated above, I'm going to ignore it and try to be happy for happy's sake. People can be dicks, we move on. There's your haiku for the month.
-
Root canal yesterday. Not a painful procedure, but I'm glad I've got it out of the way. Wasn't terribly thrilled with the dentist and his staff. All a bit prickly, a bit edgy. Might have been it was the end of the day and they just wanted to go home. Or they were just dicks.

And there's your post for the day. I'm off to work on some music, do some reading (Abercrombie's Best Served Cold has been a bit grueling at times to get through and I think it has to do with its emphasis on violence. Used to feed off that type of thing, but these days not so much. Thankfully, I'll add. Anyway, Abercrombie is a good writer and knows what to do with a story and is very good at not glorifying the violence he describes. But still, I could do with less of it), and maybe check out some World Cup.

Post script: I witnessed something last night that, if I was to share it with you, would have the likely consequence of painting me in an unflattering light. Nothing cowardly like seeing someone get knifed and not intervening or calling for help, but something I.......Ah, forget it, for now at least. I was done with this post a paragraph ago.

Good night.

6 comments:

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

"Post script: I witnessed something last night that, if I was to share it with you, would have the likely consequence of painting me in an unflattering light. Nothing cowardly like seeing someone get knifed and not intervening or calling for help, but something I.......Ah, forget it, for now at least." This sounds juicy!!! Cant wait to hear!:)

As far as the rude people, you havent been carrying around cookies have you!? Im not saying you should hand them out to rude people. O no siree, You pull out that mini chocolate chip cookie with a happy face piped on it in icing, pop that sucker in your mouth and smile! See here, this has two advantages, one is that your mouth is full so unless you are really pissed you wont say anything back to them thus avoiding a confrontation. Although, if they have been so offensive, cursing and spraying chewed cookie fragments in their face is perfectly acceptable. The other advantage, your eating a freakin' cookie and everyone loves cookies! ;)

Kevin said...

Sound advice, Leigh. I confess I haven't been keeping cookies handy, but obviously I need to. I've always wanted to spit cookies in someone's face. Now, I might get my chance. I may end up putting on some pounds with all these cookies, but at least I'll be happy.

As for what I witnessed the other night, well, I'll spill the beans for you only because of your cookie advice. Basically, it comes down to this: I saw my neighbor having sex the other night.

A little back story. This neighbor that I speak of, moved in next door fairly recently. I would see her come and go while I sat on the porch reading. Very attractive, probably in her twenties. Now, the houses here are really close together and the one next to mine is no exception. From my bedroom window, this woman's room is only about twenty or so feet away.

When I'm lying in bed, if my curtain is pulled back, I can see, without moving my head, her room, which is another floor up from mine. Can't really see that much, but her bed goes right up against the window, headboard first; sometimes I'll see the back of her head on a pillow.

Every so often at night, while I'm reading or watching a movie in bed, I'll see movement out of the corner of my eye coming from her room. The other night, I saw more than i bargained for.

I was reading in bed, it was fairly late, and I looked up from my page to see what looked like someone looking out her window. Upon closer examination, I saw that it was this woman I described and she was bobbing up and down. And, she was being pretty vocal, too.

I couldn't see too much, but I saw more than I probably should have. The reason why I debated relating this story is because I felt I would have had trouble not making myself look creepy.

I did look and I'm not ashamed about it. I think most people would have; it's human nature; it's why people rubber neck at car accidents. However, I didn't look for long because, even though they weren't exactly hiding what they were doing, I didn't want to invade their privacy and, honestly, it didn't really do that much for me.I'd rather be the guy doing it than watching it.And, the longer I did watch, the more I felt bad about it.This isn't for you, I heard a voice say. This is for them.

See, the problem I feared I'd run into sharing this story is that to me, it sounded phony. I could imagine people reading it and thinking, "Yeah, right, he only looked briefly. The pervert was probably drooling all over himself in the dark with a pair of binoculars. Sicko!"

Ok, maybe not that bad a reaction, but, like I said, my version sounded phony to me and I suspected it would seem so even more to my readers.

Know what, though? I've told a few people already and two of them were female. Each one said they would have looked, if only out of a general curiosity. So, maybe no one would think I was a creep, but I wondered about that. I think I'll stick with cookies. So much simpler.

Anyway, there you have it, Leigh.

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

Kevin,
Have no fear. One of the (many) reasons I enjoy your blog is because you say the things that everyone thinks or does but no one admits to. So, you noticed your neighbor having sex? Honestly most people would have grabbed a bag of pop corn and called their closest friends to come and watch too.... errr not that I would have done that...Um... I wouldnt have watched at all or called anyoneNope I wouldnt have called a soul... or made pop corn. I mean....uh hell who I am kidding!? Kevin you are very mature cause I would have been like a girl in junior High snickering and whispering the details to my closet gal pals... ugh wow, I just painted myself in a not so nice light...hmmm (now I am frantically searching for a way to redeem myself with out having to delete this entire comment and rewrite the damn thing)... (Got it!).... Anyone want a cookie!? ;)

In all seriousness, It would suck to live that close to people. I thought we had close neighbors!? We have 3 acres with houses all around our property. The first thing we started doing was planting trees. Lots and lots of trees. ;)

Kevin said...

Thanks for the feedback, Leigh; my resolve has been strengthened. Tell you what: next time I see her having sex, I'm making pop corn and pulling up a chair. I may even make up some score cards and hold them up like they do in figure skating.

As far as living so close to people, I actually kind of like it. Normally, I'm all about wide open spaces, but for some reason I don't feel claustrophobic with my current arrangement. And it can't be that bad if I get to watch my hot neighbor having sex, right?

Anyway, yes, I do want a cookie. I always want a cookie, unless there are raisins in them. Yuck!

Kate said...

Alright I have to comment here because this whole exchange just begs for it.

My first thought upon reading your response to Leigh was this: "You would rather be the guy doing it than be the guy watching it? Why am I not buying that one? I would bet that your computer cache would suggest otherwise. (LOL!) But anyway, I am sure that it would take a person with tremendous self control NOT to watch for more than just a minute or two.

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

Kate,
LOL! I can see the three of us now... eating popcorn and holding up up the score cards! haha You are right about the tremedous self control.... I think Kevin should set a poll on his side bar, then it would be settled. :)
-Leigh