Monday, April 5, 2010

Who will love Aladdin Sane

Turns out the troll in the closet story is some kind of urban legend. Sharon broke the news to me today. Not really sure on the details - I was only able to speak with her briefly - but her friend pulled a fast one on her. I did a quick search online and found variations of the story. Oh well, it was destined to be proven false. Sorry for the erroneous information, folks.

Just did a bunch of recording. Tried putting vocals over a song, but I wasn't very satisfied with the results. I switched to a new song I've been working on. I played it live and from the gut; most of the performance was intuitive. I was very happy with the results. I added a quick harmony over one of the parts. I work better this way. When I try to record my songs neat and polished, they often sound flat, especially the vocals. I like imperfections and a sense of looseness. It's one of the main reasons I dig Will Oldham. Having this new recorder is the best thing that's happened to me in a while. Can't wait to get back at it.

Now I go to watch a flick or read from Drood. Or perhaps listen to some ELO like I've been doing lately. Kind of ironic, considering I was just riffing about liking imperfections and looseness; ELO is the exact opposite. I love it, though. A lot to be learned from Jeff Lynne.

No comments: