Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive

I went for a run after work. It was drizzling when I left and, about halfway through, it started pouring. I quickened my pace, but the damage was done. I was completely soaked. Wouldn't have been so bad if it was a little warmer out. Still beats the humidity, a runner's arch enemy.

Foley and I caught the Elliott Smith documentary, Searching For Elliott Smith, at the Somerville Theater last night. Both of us are big fans of his music and it's a sad and wasteful thing that he committed suicide. The film did a good job portraying him, which must not have been an easy feat, considering how shy and private he was. I'll never forget when I first heard him. Years ago, Luke Warm stopped by and popped in a CD. "I think you might like this", he said. He was correct. It was his self titled album we were listening to, and I recognized instantly the immense talent he possessed. One of the best songwriters I've ever heard. He continues to be missed.



Regarding my own music, I've overcome a hurdle with one of my songs. I've had it floating around for a year or two and, about a month ago, I attempted to record it. I put the guitars down first - they came out fine - and then I attempted the vocals. I say attempted because I still haven't finished them. Every track I put down sounded dull and uninspired until I figured out what the problem was. I'd been singing the song pretty much the same way for a long time and the other day it finally registered that I wasn't happy with the vocals because the melodies weren't that strong. I had thought it was my delivery. I revamped the vocals the other day and I think I'm in the clear. They sound much better.

I have more to say, but I've got a Celtics game to watch, some reading to do, some emails to send, and a shower to take. Perhaps tomorrow I'll fill in the gaps.

No comments: