Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Flying high in the friendly sky

It happens sometimes when there is much to write about, but little energy to do the writing. It's where I'm at this evening, readers. Maybe the prospect of covering a wide swath of subject matter is just too daunting, maybe I just flat out don't feel much like "blogging" tonight. With that in mind, be aware that this post could end abruptly, leaving you unsatisfied and cheated, which, for all I know, you may feel with many of my posts. Best get started and see where we end up.

To begin, yesterday Jeff called us all into his office and told us he was going to have to cut hours and, if things continued to deteriorate, make some layoffs. This wasn't a big surprise to any of us, but, because it was made official, it was a bit unsettling. Jeff, however, assuaged our fears by telling us he's doing everything he can to improve business.

After the meeting, I remained in Jeff's office so we could go over my new hours. The prospect of losing more hours wasn't tasty, but it still meant I had a job, which was the essential thing. And, as it turned out, my hours weren't cut that much. A sigh of relief. I issued another one when Jeff told me that, because of my unique position, my status was secure.

I had my first honest-to-goodness nightmare in a long time last night. It was brief, but absolutely cathartic. All day, I marveled at how utterly ferocious it was- I bounced between feeling disturbed and being impressed. Basically, the dream went like so:

I found myself in a dilapidated warehouse. There were overturned and smashed crates and pockets of fire everywhere, which provided the only light. It was right out of a Freddy Krueger flick. I was among a group of about twenty people. Everyone, including myself, was on edge, nerves frayed. We awaited the predator.

It wasn't a long wait.

Out of the shadows emerged a hulking mass, a savage, primordial beast. I couldn't make out it's features. I'm not sure it had any. All I knew was that it was the most ferocious, tenacious, and evil thing I've ever witnessed. Really, it's rage was so intense and limitless that it could have eaten through a thousand solar systems, a thousand centuries, without losing a fraction of it's malevolent drive. Basically, it was like The Incredible Hulk, but way, way more pissed off.

We all scattered. I looked over my shoulder - it wasn't chasing me. I ran anyway, as fast as my terrified legs would allow. I hid behind some boxes. I could hear it's furious, fear-inducing, howls and grunts off in the distance. What the fuck was this thing? I hoped not to find out.

When the terror had subsided enough for me to take action, I stepped out from behind the boxes and saw that I was standing on a track. Was I in an abandoned gym? Before I could think any further on the subject, the beast burst out of the shadows and made for me with startling speed. I ran for my life, for my soul. Yes, I knew full well that this beast was capable of tearing apart more than my flesh. I ran and felt its hot breath on my neck.

It never overtook me. It should have, given it's speed, but it never went in for the kill. I realized that I was being harried. I saw that I was running on the track. Exactly where this monster wanted me to be. This was a game to the frothing, howling, beast. Discovering this fact didn't lessen the fear one bit.

I woke up then and whispered "What was that all about?". Indeed, what was that all about? I have an idea that the message of the dream is that fear (the beast) is guiding my actions. It is true, maybe even to a substantial degree. Whether that was the true meaning of the dream, I don't know. I hope that's it, because if that evil creature is real on some level, look out, son!
-
Well, how do you like that? I ended up with a much larger word count than you or I expected. Are any of you respectful enough to congratulate me on this feat? I eagerly await your heartfelt and detailed responses.

There is more, but I'm tired and have other things to do. This weekend is going to be jam-packed with activity; I'm must conserve my energy as I await it.

1 comment:

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

I hate having dreams like that especially when they linger in the mind during the waking hours... starts off for a very disturbing day! I hope you rest well... maybe after your busy weekend and a few drinks, it will be enough to keep the night terrors away! ;)

Im just catching up on your last few blog post... take a nap for me too please! ;)