Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Star me kitten

Woke up feeling lousy about life, but I shook that feeling with relative ease. Seeing Stan parade around on his porch naked was enough to shock the blues out of me. Dude, there's a school two blocks away and kids are walking by your house - how about some shorts, or something? Yeah, I know you're scoping out the college chicks and want them to see you in all your wrinkly glory, but you're freaking us out.

He was at it again later on in the day. I was making dinner and saw him out on his porch, scanning up and down the street. He was wearing a black thong this time, so there's that, at least, but still fucking gross and still mostly naked. Every time a female would walk or jog by, he'd spill out of the house and onto the porch. He did this a lot, but I'm sure it was just a coincidence that he did so when these hot young things were passing by. And so was the fact that his hand was on his junk much of the time he was out there. Probably just adjusting the thong; those suckers can be tight, son!

A beautiful, if unseasonably hot, day. After suffering through the worst haircut I've had since I let my sister give it a try when we were kids, I decided today was the day to get it done right. Really, this last cut was atrocious. I ended up with cowlicks where I've never had them before and there was absolutely no way to style my hair without it looking a poor imitation of an '80s do. And I hate 80's fashions with a passion!

So I went to a new place. Katelyn, the attractive and affable young woman who cut my hair was a pro. I told her my plight, and she went to work. When she was finished, I looked in the mirror and said, "Now that's more like it". She was great; even the way she washed my hair was quality: she really massaged the scalp, which, as you know, is essential to a good wash. Katelyn made me feel human again, and I told her as much.
--
I finally finished The Pillars of the Earth yesterday. Epic book and, consequently, a long journey with a cast of characters that were hard to part with. But not too hard: while I enjoyed much of the book, there was too much of the following scenario: bad guys try to foil good guys plans/good guys figure out a way to prosper despite said foiling. The prose was accessible, which was not surprising considering Follett is an author with mass appeal, but at times I wanted a little more oomph in the writing. I say the prose was accessible but the book, by it's very nature, was outside Follett's comfort zone and could have flopped terribly, so hee gets a huge thumbs up for ambition. I liked the book quite a bit, but wasn't as floored by it as Oprah and members of her book club were. On to Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray, which competed against eleven other books to be my next lunch break read. Nerd that I am, I constructed a March-madness type bracket and books advanced to the next round by a flip of a coin. How's that for nerdy? No wonder women find me repulsive.

This afternoon, I was on the porch talking to my sister on the phone, when a rickety van pulled up to the house. It was packed with dogs, which meant one thing: Baby Boy Z was home from Wags To Riches! My sister could tell I was distracted and asked me what was going on. I explained to her my joy at seeing BBZ getting off the bus. "He's a dog, right?", she asked. "Oh, he's much more than that", I replied.

When I came home from my run earlier this evening, I was taking my shoes off in the living room and, seeing that we still had plastic on the windows, I decided it was time to take it off. I stripped the plastic off one of the windows and out of the corner of my eye, I saw Rich approach. Of course! These sheets of plastic are his babies and here I was brutally tearing them off the windows. This could get ugly, I thought. I quickly tried to explain myself.

"Figured it was time, especially during a day like today, to take the plastic off the windows."

"Actually, I was hoping we could keep it up at least for one more day", he said. "The plastic is helping keep the house nice and cool."

Fair enough. I wasn't married to the idea, was just acting on impulse, but I made sure to tell him the plastic should come off the windows soon. He looked immensely relieved that his precious children will be around a little bit longer.

That was a close one. I thought for sure he was going to tear my throat out when he saw me with my hands on the plastic.
--
Watched last night's episode of Lost a few hours ago. Started watching it last night when Mara did the ol' pop in. In retrospect, I think I would have enjoyed watching Lost much more than being chided about numerous things, and watching her fall asleep on my chair. I seem to have that affect on her, this sleepiness that overwhelms her whenever we hang out. I should have nipped in the bud early on and said, "Ok, then...how about a ride home?". Instead, I let it play out like I usually do and then drove her home. Not a very comfortable ride.

I'm done with you. Off to watch Precious or Capitalism: A Love Story, not sure which.

No comments: