Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Years away, finds me here today, on my own and always on my way

Because, through a series of misfortunes, I was late for work yesterday, I was determined not to leave anything to chance and left the house several minutes earlier than usual this morning. I ended up arriving at work even later than I did yesterday. Here's how it happened.

As I said, I left the house earlier than usual. I had enough time to stop off at a gas station and purchase some windshield washer fluid and mints while an attendant put gas in my tank. I decided to go to Mr C's on Mystic Ave because they're the only place that seems to carry the mints I like. This meant I would have to travel my older, slightly longer, route. I looked at the clock; I had plenty of time.

When I hit Mystic Ave, it was backed up with traffic up by Mr. C's. No good, I thought. I made a u-turn and backtracked until I connected with my current route. I still had time to stop off at a gas station. About a minute later, I ended up behind a funeral procession. One of the hazards of this route is passing the funeral home; much like Mr. Gump's box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

The procession was long and I threw my hands up in resignation, knowing I was now going to be late to work again. And I no longer had time to stop at a gas station. I felt like the universe was being a big ol' bully and picking on me.I probably should have used the occasion of the funeral procession to put things into perspective, but I didn't, even though I felt like I should have. I'm doing it now, though, but the thing about lessons of perspective is you have to strike while the iron is hot.

I hauled some ass on 93, but I was still about fifteen minutes late to work. I apologized to Marcy and explained why I was late. She wasn't the least bit angry and shared a couple of her own misadventures with me.

We watched Obama's inauguration on one of the computer monitors. We had no sound, so I synced up NPR's broadcast with the internet feed. I should clarify: I attempted to sync up audio and video but there was a time delay with the feed --- it was about twenty seconds behind --- so the whole event had a weird vibe to it. Everyone was very pro Obama and booed every time Bush the younger was shown. I'm not sure about Obama yet, but I was all for the booing.

After work, I did some yoga and went for an abbreviated run. Tomorrow is the season premiere of Lost, an event some would say shares at least the same amount of importance as the inauguration. All I know is that I'm finally up to speed with the show and will no longer have to block my ears when people gossip about the show in my proximity. I have regained my sense of belonging. Thanks, Lost!

And goodnight, bitches.

No comments: