Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Accidents will happen, we only hit and run, I don't want to hear it, becuase I know what I've done

I find myself a little blue, but not out of sorts. I suppose I could be, if I let my thoughts roam certain paths, but I won't. Not tonight. So, as it happens, a cloud hovers over me, but offers only drizzle. Certainly manageable.

My philosophy of late has been to ride the back of darker moods until lighter ones appear on the horizon. They always do, inevitably, no matter how much, while in a funk, I try to convince myself otherwise. Many times I've planned a full retreat from the disappointments and frustrations of social life, only to renege. Always I renege. Guess that's what having a pure heart is all about. And mine, dear readers, is as pure as the driven snow.
--

It was pretty much established, because of the pending storm, we wouldn't be going in to work tomorrow. From all accounts, the storm was going to brutal, peaking right around the morning commute and into the afternoon. Marcy advised us to call her in the morning and we'd go from there. In other words, it was unlikely our cars would be leaving their driveways. Now, though, having heard at least two reports, the severity of the storm may have been exaggerated, or at least misdiagnosed. What does this mean for me? Quite possibly a white knuckle drive through snow and sleet to Andover, but because my mood is already salted with apathy, I'm not too worried about it, as Craig is wont to say. Whatever happens, happens (also a line from Craig, though it's origins lie elsewhere).
--

Finished Altered Carbon the other day. I read it over a couple of months at work during break. Sci Fi fans love this book, but, though I found it to be well-written and inspired, it ultimately didn't gel with me very much. I wasn't that interested in the characters, even though they were more or less compelling. Maybe it was the genre itself I couldn't get past. Oh, well, can't love 'em all. Anyway, I can scratch one more of my "Books To Complete" list.

Next up for lunch reading is 1984. I'm already about halfway through it and liking it just fine. Should finish it in a week or two.

I've got a couple of Elmore Leonard westerns coming in the mail and I'm hoping I'll be done with Comanche Moon and one more book before they arrive. I'll probably finish Comanche Moon tonight or tomorrow. Don't know what the second book will be. Possibly Ben Franklin's autobiography or John Green's Sasquatch: The Apes Among Us.
--

Netflix sent back the disc of Herzog shorts I rented, claiming it was my own personal disc. I called customer service last night and explained that, while I appreciated the sentiment, the disc was not mine. And further, because of their mistake, I was deprived of a week's rental. I asked Chris, the monotoned, disillusioned, customer service rep, if they'd compensate me. He said he would, in his lifeless fashion, so I'll be getting three rentals this week. Tomorrow, I should be getting a disc from the first season of MadMen and Fellini's Juliet of the Spirits. And by Friday Ozu's Tokyo Story, if things go according to schedule.
--

No comments: