Sunday, October 26, 2008

One and one half wandering Jews, free to wander wherever they choose, are travelling together in the Sangre de Cristo

Went to an early birthday party for my dad and my aunt at my grandmother's house this morning. It wasn't a very good time. Everyone seemed like they would rather have been somewhere else. Or maybe I was just projecting. I ended up hanging out with my mom more than anyone and when it was time to go, I felt awkward saying goodbye to my grandmother. I hadn't spent much time with her.
--
I was just thinking about how great the Buzzcocks sound to me right now. If some one, maybe even you, were to ask me at this moment who my favorite band is, I'd probably say the Buzzcocks. But if this someone who may or may not be you, asked me the same question two weeks from now, I might say it's the Red House Painters who are my BFFs. That is why I don't care for, eschew even, that question. Know what I'm saying?
--
I managed to avoid doing anything significant today. I meant to do a little cleaning followed by some reading at some point. Didn't happen. I did, however, take a nap, but I don't think that would be many people's idea of significant. For what it's worth, the nap was a good, hearty one, and I felt refreshed upon waking.
--
When I spoke with Foley the other day, the topic of his pending divorce came up. He is not in the best of spirits currently and I tried to guide him towards visions of greener pastures, but who knows if it had any effect.

He brought up a song I had written a few years ago. He was curious to know if it was about someone whose identity I'm not inclined to share here. I told him I didn't know what the song was about, that the lyrics sidestepped my brain on their way to the paper. "Could be about her, I said. And the more I thought about it, I realized that it probably was about her.
--
I plan on watching Errol Morris's Standard Operating Procedure tonight. I've been intrigued by it ever since I read Ebert's review a few months back. I'll be surprised if I come out the other end of it none the wiser.
--
One thing of significance I did today was watch Oprah's interview with Cormac McCarthy. It was relatively softball, but because he never does interviews, it was worth watching. I still can't believe the only thing I've ever read of his was The Road. I enjoyed it very much. After watching the interview, I resisted the urge to go out to Barnes & Noble and buy something of his, probably Suttree or Blood Meridian, because I'm currently reading well over a handful of books right now and the last thing I need is another book to add to the clutter. But if the tug remains strong over the next week or so, I'll consider adding yet another book to the pile.
--
Enough of me. I've said all there is to be said tonight. The Buzzcocks record has concluded and I shall be on my merry way.

No comments: