Friday, September 26, 2008

Tiny Tim, the tight rope walker, tried to steal the drag queen's daughter

I was going to brave the elements and go for a run, but in the end decided it wouldn't be worth it. I don't like deviating from my routine, mostly because if I do so it's more difficult to get back on track, but going for a run in the pouring rain through the streets of Somerville at peak traffic borders on stupidity. And tomorrow doesn't look to be any better, so I'll have to make the best of this forced inactivity. Maybe I'll do some yoga, instead.

Glad we didn't elect to go camping this weekend. Mike, Luke Warm, and I have been planning a trip to Vermont and, if weather permits, we'll be going soon. I've always wanted to go in the fall, especially to the place we usually go, but it never happened. Until now. It'll probably be a little chilly at night, but that's what blankets are for. I can't wait. Come join us --- the more the merrier!
--

Before I left work today, Jeff asked me to stick around for a few minutes so that we could talk. Even though I've been busier there of late, performing different aspects of the job, I wondered if they were going to let me go anyway. Well, now's the time to do it, at the end of the work week, I thought. Another part of me, however, wondered if, rather than being laid off, I'd be offered more hours and a different position. Laurie, the only person there who seemed to dislike me, didn't come to work all week and, according to Deb, my source of gossip, she wasn't going to be coming back. That meant someone would need to do her job, and that someone, I figured, could be me.

So when I sat with Marcy and Jeff in his office, I wasn't sure which way the meeting would go. As it happened, Jeff offered me more hours and a different position. I would be doing more administrative work ---invoicing, emailing clients, scanning documents, etc. --- and would only be doing document research, the work I'd been doing, only if we were really behind.

I accepted the new position and increased hours gladly. Though I was efficient at it, doc. research was starting to be kind of a drag, especially lately, when there wasn't much of it to do. I like being busy, and the work I've gradually switched to over the last couple of weeks is constant.

I left work pleased at the new development. I'd been concerned about the job, whether it would stay part much longer or whether, because of lack of work, I'd be laid off. And, with the knowledge that my unemployment checks won't be forthcoming for too much longer, I realized I would need to get a new job if I couldn't get more hours at this one. I'm breathing a little easier now.
--

Okay, I'm off to Mara's. We're going to get some dinner and catch up. I haven't seen her in a while. Ciao!

No comments: