Saturday, September 13, 2008

She has a house and garden, I would like to see what happens

Saw Aleister perform at Sally O'briens in Union Sq. with Mara last night. The show started at six and, consequently, there wasn't much of an audience. Aleister is a great performer in the classic Folk tradition and one of Mara's best friends. Accompanying him on a sweet Tele was his friend, whose name I forget so I'll henceforth refer to him as Kid Cookie.

(Edit: I just saw that I had a couple of calls from my grandmother that I missed. I nearly panicked, thinking of all sorts of unfavorable scenarios for why she called. Why would she call me this late? I sat there hoping she was alright, but feared her health had taken a turn for the worse. I even envisioned calling her back and my father answering, explaining that she had passed away. In the midst of all this thinking, my phone buzzed, alerting me I had a voice mail. I listened to it immediately and, thank God, it was her voice on the other end. Turns out she called to thank me for putting her windows in the other day. Whew!)

Mara and I ate burgers as we watched them play. I got a mushroom swiss with fries and it really hit the spot. Between sets, Aleister joined us and ate the onions Mara had taken off her burger. It wasn't very appetizing watching him dip them in ketchup and eating them like chips.

There was a guy in the bar who looked like a skinny, haggard, weather-beaten Hobbit. I couldn't take my eyes off this mythical creature; Mara told me not to stare on more than one occassion, but I ignored her. If she evers sees a unicorn when I'm with her, I'll implore her not stare. See how she likes it.

After the show, I came back to the house and did some recording with Craig. We came close to finishing a song and I'm thrilled at how it's progressing. We're going to put more time into it tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it. The goal is to record at least four of my songs, but if Craig is willing to to take the time to do more, I'm not going to object.

Okay, I'm going to play some music and maybe watch Frailty or Michael Clayton.

No comments: