Monday, September 8, 2008

My autumn's done come

I went to the Everett police station this morning to retrieve my sister's diaper bag. According to Mapquest, the distance from my place to the station was about five miles, with a drive time of about twelve minutes. Well, fuck you, Mapquest! Seriously, fuck you.

It took me about an hour to find the place. I wasn't pleased. It should have been an easy matter: follow Rte 16 for two miles, take a left on Vine st, and two more quick lefts before ending at the police station. I discovered immediately that there are almost no street signs on Rte 16, at least not between Medford and Everett. And if you miss a turn, like I did several times, you have to drive forever before you can loop back around.

I called the police station after making no progress for twenty minutes. I explained to the person I was speaking with the directions I got from Mapquest and he said they were way off, that I needed to go further up 16 and take a left onto a street I forget the name of. That didn't help me much because there were no street signs to guide me.

Eventually, through trial and error, I found the police station and picked up the bag. Everything was in it save my sister's camera. I called her and told her the news. She was relieved to have the bag back---they didn't take her check book ---but she felt violated and sad that she'd never geet to see the pictures she took of her daughter's first day at school.
--

I couldn't stay focused on anything I attempted to do last night and jumped from activity to activity without being productive. Don't know what that was all about.

Had a dream last night about hanging out with some old friends in Nashua. We were bar hopping and having a good time. I woke up feeling a little melancholy, knowing those days are behind me.
--
A woman, middle eastern looking, walked by me in Davis Sq. with a t-shirt that said " I am not a terrorist". Pretty cool. I only wish I was wearing my shirt that said " Did I say you were one, bitch?". No, that would have been too ornery. I should have worn this one: " Terrorist or not, I'm still going to rob you." And rob her I did.

No comments: