Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sad reminders of what seems years ago, warm southern sunshine through station wagon windows

Had some tires put on my car yesterday ( I needed them badly) and afterward my dad and I went out for lunch. We went to the China Buffet in Lowell, an establishment that caters to professional eaters, as evidenced by the high ratio of, for lack of a better word, fatties. I knew going in that the words small and portion would not be conjoined during this meal and consequently I would be going on a hard run when I got home.

I did ok, as far as how much I ate, but still, at a place like that, gluttony reigns supreme and you must bow before it when you enter its home. So, in other words, by China Buffet standards, I didn't eat that much, but by everyone else's, I didn't do my body any favors.

As we ate, my dad told me about my Uncle Stan. I reported here a few posts back that his health was failing rapidly but the cause was uncertain. Well, it turns out he has Lou Gerhig's disease, which, after battling cancer, is a devastating blow. They gave him one to five years, but for his sake, because I know this is a brutally painful and incurable disease, I hope he passes without suffering too much. A horrible bit of news.
--

Watched The Fall the other night and it was one of the best films I've seen in a long time. It was made over the course of four years and shot in eighteen different countries. A gorgeous, inventive film that features some of the most effortless acting I've ever seen in a little girl, or anyone else for that matter. I won't go into a plot description, but if you needed to be reminded of the power of cinema, watch this film.
--

Fucking lyrics! If I could come up with them as quickly as I do with music, I'd be wading in a sea of songs. Alas, writing lyrics takes a bit more time, and considering I enjoy writing in general and consider myself fairly adept at it, it's kind of ironic that I often have trouble with them. Well, there's nothing for it but to do it and cease bitching. I should be encouraged by the fact that I usually end up feeling satisfied with the finished product.
--
Ok, I'm off to greener pastures. Ciao, lobos de la noche,

No comments: