Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I've been out in front of a dozen dead oceans

Work is going well, except there's not much of it right now. Today, my coworker Deb, whispered to me that she expects them to cut more hours or outright let people go. I won't be surprised if something like that happens---it'll be a shame, because I like the job---but I've been through similar situations before and I don't suspect my world will be shattered if my tenure at the firm comes to an abrupt end. Of course, I would not be the picture of contentment, either.

Craig and I spent most of Sunday recording. We put a good chunk into four of my songs and tonight we'll get back to work. Overall, I've been happy with the proceedings, especially when I consider that we're doing this pretty quickly and there are bound to be resultant blemishes and warts. Sometimes, though, it's hard to be objective. I've alternated between smiling and cringing when I listen back to what I've done so far. I think I've written some good songs, but I'm not always sure I've performed them the right way. That's how we improve, right? By not being easily satisfied?


So, with that, I'm going to prepare myself for another go at recording. I'm excited to hear the finished product. This has been good for my psyche. Reminds me that I'm proficient at something, that I'm not some purposeless lout. Life has a way of suppressing our gifts, but they can never be extinguished.

No comments: