Sunday, December 23, 2007

O Vos Omnes

The last few days have been busy ones for me. No surprise, that, with Christmas around the bend. I just finished wrapping gifts and making out cards, an act I generally loathe. I consider myself a decent writer, but when it comes to writing cards, I suck. I do all right with the ones for friends, but when it comes to my family, forget about it. My vocabulary is suddenly reduced to thirty words and any sentiment I express comes off as corny and dim-witted. I just spent the last twenty minutes writing a card to my grandmother and I bombed. Oh, well, at least I got through it. It would have been worse if I let the card do the talking for me. I haven't sunk to that level yet.
--

Went to Andy's party last night and it was an exceptional one. Had some great conversations and was lucky enough not to engage in any small talk. I discovered, while talking with Bridgette, Sara, and Chrissy, that I wasn't alone in my distaste for Rachel Ray. In fact, one of the people there, a guy named Eric who is now my hero, wore a picture of her on his back. He did this because the theme of the party was for everyone to wear the ugliest sweater they owned. Well, Eric had everyone beat, in my opinion. For the record, I should clarify that I don't think Rachel Ray is an ugly person, even though she could store kindling in that gaping maw of hers. No, it's her soul that is ugly, every black, self-promotional, non-stop yapping, bit of it. We also discussed our mutual fascination for Bindy Irwin and disgust that rivals, if not exceeds, Rachel Rays, for Tyra Banks. So, great party and it was a relief to get away from the pervasive negativity that's been in my house, of late. It settles over you like ashes from the sky. To be around festive, laughing people, was just what the doctor ordered.
--
Tomorrow, I will go to my parents to celebrate Christmas with my immediate family. To my recollection, it's the first time we've done it a day before. I look forward to seeing everyone and then seeing some friends after that. It should prove to be another fun day, if things go as I expect they will.

Now, I'm off to do some reading. You're dismissed.

No comments: