Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm weak, maybe I'm strong, but never the less I'm in love with you

Christmas is now behind us and, even though it's allure, or most of it, has long since left me, I'm a little sad to see it go. As far as Christmas's go, this one was pretty good. Nothing exceptional, to be sure, but not a drag.

The highlights.

--My bed got a make-over. My parents got me new pillows, sheets, a blanket, and a comforter. The comforter is what I needed, but everything else is a nice addition.

--I also got a couple of sweaters from my mother that I probably would have bought for myself. My mother's not terrible at picking out clothes for me, but she's had some severe misses in the past. She was dead on this year.

--On a whim, I bought my niece Colleen a teddy bear. It turned out to be her favorite present, or at least made her top five. Not bad, considering she hides from me every time I see her. She's only three, in case you're wondering. It's why I'm not too upset. I'm used to this reaction from women.

--Colleen, not long after bumping me from my spot at the table (I'll cover that later), enlisted my aid in helping her find a hiding spot when a neighbor appeared at the door. I hid her behind wrapping paper-filled trash bags. What made it so sweet was when she told me to hide with her. I did, and I'm happy to report no one found us.

--Got to spend some time with Spira on Christmas eve. We watched the Rufus Wainwright does Judy Garland concert and ate some of the Greek food I made. Hadn't seen too much of her lately, so it was a nice occasion.

--Luke Warm and I bought each other 'o8 editions of NBA games for our Playstations. He suggested we do this because otherwise we'd never get past the 'o5 editions we both own. It was a good idea and I got the EA Sports edition and he got the 2k8 edition, which was the same manufacturer as the '05 ones we own. I'm still getting used to the new style of game play, but I'm psyched I got at least one toy this Christmas.

-- I got to see my cousin Erin. She lives out in Colorado, and it's a rare event when she comes to town. She's one of my favorite cousins and probably the nicest person I've ever met.

--Brian, Erin's brother, went to Sears with his two roommates and posed for some of the cheesiest Christmas pictures you could imagine. They really did it up: they wore their hair slicked back and had on the corniest clothes. The three of them looked like Norman Rockwell rejects as they posed on a sled and by a Christmas tree.When I saw one of the pictures on my grandmother's door, I couldn't stop laughing. My aunt walked over and asked me if I should worry about her son. I told her he's a genius and that I wished I had thought of the idea first. I'm desperate to get some of these pics. There's a suggestive one of Brian bending over with a cheeky expression on his face as Santa looms behind him that I'm dying to see.

--When I got home last night, I curled up under my new blankets and watched Citizen Kane. It was the perfect night cap.


The lowlights.

--I didn't gas my car up before Christmas, so when I was leaving for my grandmother's house I noticed I was on empty and that every gas station I passed was closed. I eventually found one on my way home, but the I didn't need the stress leading up to that point.

--At my parent's house on Christmas eve, I got bumped from my position at the dinner table by Colleen. I brought my food into the dining room and put it down a couple of seats away from Colleen and then went into the kitchen to grab a drink. On my way back to the table, my mother, in a solemn whisper, asked me to find another seat because Colleen didn't want me sitting near her. "She's afraid of you", she added. I laughed and asked her where I should sit. She suggested the other end of the table. "Perhaps I should sit in the other room", I said. My mother thought it over and thought it would be ok if I remained in the dining room, that it would be silly for me to eat in another room. I should have have told her that I was not going to move my seat, that because I had seniority over her, Colleen should have been the one to move if she had a problem. I would have made her eat in the dark and scary basement. Then she'd know the true meaning of fear.

--It's possible this was the last Christmas with my grandmother. She's ninety and her health is failing her with greater frequency. I think everyone felt the same thing; it hung over the day like a fine mist.

--There was some absurd tension in my house over the weekend that didn't need to be there. Some of it was cleared up today when I talked to Kreg, but most of it, which concerns Rich, needs to be addressed. I imagine it won't be a big deal clearing the air, but considering that what this shit is all about is, at least in my mind, so minor that it couldn't be a big deal if it practiced at it eight hours a day, I'm not holding my breath. When someone avoids you like the plague for over two weeks and you find out it's because they don't like the fact that you leave a door open sometimes--not one that leads to the outside, mind you-- you don't take anything for granted.

--With all the grandchildren and couples around me at my grandmother's house, I felt the pang of loneliness, something I've been too acquainted with. Fortunately, no one ever gives me the third degree about why I'm perpetually single.

--I missed out on seeing Janelle on Christmas eve. I was leaving my parents to go see her and Spira when she called and told me she had to head out. I haven't seen her in a while, so I was looking forward to the opportunity, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. There will be other occasions, however.

--Nana got me a totally gangsta'd out hoodie. This is not necessarily a lowlight, but I had to put it somewhere. I can't be sure, but it looks like it has the royal crest of the House of Windsor emblazoned on the front. Mind you, that is hardly gangsta, but when you look at it real quick, you'd have no problem envisioning Nas wearing it.

So, overall a good holiday. Next up, New Year's. But before then, I will watch the Celtics and then finish watching Roger Ebert's commentary on Citizen Kane.

No comments: