Monday, August 27, 2007

The first time ever I saw your face, I thought the sun rose in your eyes

Just finished watching Inland Empire and it was a strange experience, which, considering it's a David Lynch film, is stating the obvious. I would watch an hour of it, take a nap, watch an other hour, take another nap, and during the third and final hour of it, I ate a thai tofu wrap that I got at the Blue Shirt Cafe. That last bit of information is hardly pertinent, but the wrap was tasty, so I figure a small plug is the least I can offer.

While at the Blue Shirt waiting for my food, I stepped outside and sorted through some dvds the little dollar store next door was displaying outside. The first dvd I saw was The Impossible Man, a film I've been dying to see, but could never find, starring one of the best, and smallest action heroes in celluloid history, Weng Weng. If you've been a reader of this blog, you may recall me raving about Weng Weng and the film For Your Height Only. I spent a buck--well, two, because I bought Luke Warm a copy-- on The Impossible Man, and if I watch that, along with Ordinary People, one of my favorite films, my dreams tonight will be sure to more surreal than usual.
--
Bob TV informed me this morning, after barreling into the kitchen wearing only his Hawaiian boxers and upsetting my post sleep quietude, that he had only gotten four hours of sleep due to insomnia. As it was only eight thirty, I suggested he go back to bed and catch up on some sleep. "Nah,' he said, ' I'll be alright if I don't smoke too much pot today."

When he left the room, it occurred to me that insomnia had nothing to do with his lack of sleep, unless, of course, by insomnia he meant on-line poker, but I don't think so. I know this because his room is next to mine, and day and night I hear the clacking of simulated poker chips coming from behind his door. Someone likes his gambling a little too much, me thinks.

I haven't thought about it too much, but after this week, I'll probably never see Bob TV again. Strange how that works; you live with someone for a year and then one day, "poof", they're gone. Who knows, maybe I'll see him more than I think. He's already talking about staying here when he comes to town to visit.

Speaking of Bob TV, the other night I was making my way out the door when I cam upon him unscrewing light bulbs from various lamps he had gathered around himself. "What are you doing?", I asked.

"I'm trying to find the proper lighting so I can take a passport photo."

"Are you leaving the country any time soon?"

"Well, no, but I was just reading on-line that you can, provided you follow the proper guidelines, take your own passport photo. I can save money this way."

"Good luck with that", I said as I made my way to leave.

"Actually, I need a shooter for this project. It'll only take a minute. Would you mind?"

It's been my experience that when someone tells me something will only take a minute, it will most certainly not. I was amused at the situation, though, so I agreed to help him. How difficult could it be?

I ended up taking about fifteen shots of him in the living room and about six or seven more in the kitchen. He had me try all sorts of different angles and sometimes had me hold the camera in one hand while holding a lamp in the other. If it wasn't such a comical spectacle, it would have been annoying, or rather, more annoying than it already was.

"Okay, raise the lamp an inch higher and to your left. Make sure not to frame any lower than my shoulders while you do it."

"Alright, those last six shots were good, but lets really try to nail it this time. Remember to avoid shadows and lets make sure the shot comes out level."

Right as I was about to tell him I'd had enough, he told me he thought he had what he needed and thanked me for my help. I left the house smiling at Bob TV and his arbitrariness.
--
For those of you keeping track, the Celtics just signed James Posey, a great bear of a defender who can also shoot. Now they have a formidable bench. I cannot wait until the season starts.
--
I'm fixing to start a game night at my place in the coming weeks. The idea is to get people together and play a board game. I don't know if we should play the same game every week-- you know, have a Monopoly night like people have Poker night-- or should we play a different game every week. Anyway, the idea is to get people together and board games are always fun, so why not do it?

Or perhaps we could just take passport photos of each other.

No comments: